Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to customize the Navigation bar in Power BI workspace for different user permission

Hello everyone. I have a Power Bi workspace app with different permission users, and a navigation bar on the left side contains a reports menu to navigate (like in the example image). How can I customize the navigation bar so that it only displays the reports navigation corresponding to users' permission? For example, users from the sales department only see the sales report in the navigation bar, users from the finance department only see the financial report in the navigation bar, and specific users can see a portion of both sales and financial reports

VinhThe_0-1654575075123.png

(Source: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/designing-custom-navigation-for-power-bi-apps-is-now-availa...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shishir22
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Anonymous ,

The custom navigation is for Power BI Apps.

I doubt that you can change navigation bar as per user Permission.

If the requirement is like that I would suggest create differnt apps for different set of users but for that you need to segerate the reports across different workspaces as one app can point to only one work space.

This is what I will suggest-

Assume you have 15 reports in total having three types of users as UserType1(5 reports), UserType2(5reports) and UserType3(5 Reports).

Create 3 workspace, 1 for each UserType and publish correspond reports into it.

Change the design of app as per below link- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/designing-custom-navigation-for-power-bi-apps-is-now-available/

And publish each app poniting to corresponding workspace to respective users.

Please mark it as answer if it solves your issue. Kudos are aslo appreciated.

Cheers,
Shishir

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Shishir22
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Anonymous ,

The custom navigation is for Power BI Apps.

I doubt that you can change navigation bar as per user Permission.

If the requirement is like that I would suggest create differnt apps for different set of users but for that you need to segerate the reports across different workspaces as one app can point to only one work space.

This is what I will suggest-

Assume you have 15 reports in total having three types of users as UserType1(5 reports), UserType2(5reports) and UserType3(5 Reports).

Create 3 workspace, 1 for each UserType and publish correspond reports into it.

Change the design of app as per below link- https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/designing-custom-navigation-for-power-bi-apps-is-now-available/

And publish each app poniting to corresponding workspace to respective users.

Please mark it as answer if it solves your issue. Kudos are aslo appreciated.

Cheers,
Shishir

Helpful resources

Announcements
OCT PBI Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - October 2024

Check out the October 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

October NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - October 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors