Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CherryKom
Frequent Visitor

How to apply conditional formatting while exporting the data into an excel file using query.

Hi,

We have got a requirement where we need to export the table visual data into an excel file as an attachment and send it in an email.
For this, we have used 'Power Automate' scheduled flow and choose 'Run a query against the dataset' option to get the data instead of exporting the table visual directly. 

In the query text, we wrote a query with CALCULATETABLE() function with all the required columns. Here we want to set conditional formatting for a few of the columns and the same formatting should be seen in the exported excel file. Is there an option to apply conditional formatting in the query? 

Kindly help us in this regard.
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, as I said, the queries generated have no formatting at all, just data. Then the visual author translates that data into the conditional formatting you see. You'd have to apply that same logic on the raw data you extracted. 

Power BI queries are just data. 100% of any formatting is done exclusively by the visual, whether it is you changing colors in a bar chart, the background color, or conditional formatting. The Vertipaq engine you query - in the viz, or via Power Automate - has no clue about formatting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You can get the conditional formatting values. You can see how Power BI does this by creating a conditional format, then using Performance Analyzer to look at the query generated for the visual.

But it is 100% data. No formats at all. The visual instead knows to interpret the column for formatting. Then the report layer translates those numbers into the colors you chose. 

So no, the query itself is pure data, even in Power BI. You'd need to format in Excel.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thankyou @edhans for the response.

Do we have any other way to apply conditional formatting before we export the data?

No, as I said, the queries generated have no formatting at all, just data. Then the visual author translates that data into the conditional formatting you see. You'd have to apply that same logic on the raw data you extracted. 

Power BI queries are just data. 100% of any formatting is done exclusively by the visual, whether it is you changing colors in a bar chart, the background color, or conditional formatting. The Vertipaq engine you query - in the viz, or via Power Automate - has no clue about formatting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors