Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Mike282
Helper III
Helper III

How do I change the credentials for a Dataflow pulling from a SQL server behind a gateway

Hi all,

So I've got a issue. I have a dataflow which I created that pulls data from two databases in a SQL server behind a gateway. When I initially created the dataflow I didn't use one of the service accounts to connect to the server.

Now I want to change that connection credential as I'm getting errors using my own credentials as opposed to the service account but I cannot find anywhere in the dataflow that allows me to manage credentails.

I checked the dataflow settings area but under the credentials area I can't update credentials because apparently admin has granted access.

image.png

Which is strange because it was giving me an error saying I can't connect to it.

So I then tried to create a new dataflow using the basic connection and entered the service account credentials. It all loaded in the Power Query editor in Power BI service but when I go to refresh the data it's throwing the following error:

Error: Data source credentials are missing or invalid. Please update the credentials for SQL in dataflow settings and try again. 

So in the end I've got 2 questions:

1. How to I update credentials for an existing Dataflow

2. If it's not possible what could be causing the refresh error for a duplicate data flow I've created with updated credentials.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mike282,

If you are work with a normal dataset, you can turn on the SSO option to use end-users' credentials to connect to the dataset. 

Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery#single-sign-on 

I check on dataflow and it seems not available on dataflow entity, perhaps you can turn the SSO option on your gateway datasource to access with users' credentials.

Configure Kerberos-based SSO from Power BI service to on-premises data sources 

9.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mike282,

If you are work with a normal dataset, you can turn on the SSO option to use end-users' credentials to connect to the dataset. 

Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery#single-sign-on 

I check on dataflow and it seems not available on dataflow entity, perhaps you can turn the SSO option on your gateway datasource to access with users' credentials.

Configure Kerberos-based SSO from Power BI service to on-premises data sources 

9.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.