Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vrumay2
Frequent Visitor

Hide table/column (OLS) for everyone except a few users

Hi, 

I want to hide a table in my report from everyone, except just 5 users that should have access. 

I've created a "SecretView" role, and added the 5 users to it, but how do I hide the table for everyone else in the company?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This is tricky. The roles usually apply for delimited users, not all company. Once you create the role, you can add the users that you want to hide the column, but if you are looking the other way arround like "just configure the ones that CAN" that's something that can't be done by default.

I'm thinking an approach. You can create a group at AD with all users of the company. Set the role that hide the table for that group. Then for the 5 people that should see the tables, you can add them as members at the workspace. As far as I remember when the user has build permission at the workspace the rule won't apply for them (talking about RLS I assume it might work like that for OLS).

I hope that helps, or make sense. Otherwise you will have to create a group for the people you want to hide the table and add people each time you share with the new user.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This is tricky. The roles usually apply for delimited users, not all company. Once you create the role, you can add the users that you want to hide the column, but if you are looking the other way arround like "just configure the ones that CAN" that's something that can't be done by default.

I'm thinking an approach. You can create a group at AD with all users of the company. Set the role that hide the table for that group. Then for the 5 people that should see the tables, you can add them as members at the workspace. As far as I remember when the user has build permission at the workspace the rule won't apply for them (talking about RLS I assume it might work like that for OLS).

I hope that helps, or make sense. Otherwise you will have to create a group for the people you want to hide the table and add people each time you share with the new user.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I've accepted your response as a solution because it is a solution. 

However, I noticed after publishing a report with a single role that:

-Anyone with Workspace Viewer access that have been granted the role

-Workspace Members & Admins

Will be able to see the data, but anyone not in either of those categories will be allowed to view it by default.

So no need to implement crazy logic, as the service will automatically block out people that are not admins, members, or viewers with a role.

Yes. That's why I said that's tricky. Usually the way to go is hiding for a set of people, but going the other way around like hiding for all except, that's tricky for rules. That's why I have said something about security groups in AD. That might help. Building rules for AD Groups.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors