Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vwithers
Frequent Visitor

Global Search Permissions Limitations

Hi all,

My organization has recently transitioned to Power BI as our reporting service and many end-users who want to view reports in the Power BI Service make use of the global search feature. However, we have noticed that users who don't have access to certain reports, get the option to click on the report once it is suggested in the global search bar. This, of course, leads them directly to a permissions error popup, but I want the user to not see the report at all when they search for it and don't have access. This is an even bigger issue as we do not give viewers access to the workspace, but rather only the app. Furthermore, when they search for a report called "Accounting Team Performance Dashboard", they see the both the workspace version (which they don't have access to) and the app version (which they do have access to), and since they are the same name, it is a complete random guess as to which one they should click. Is there a way that I can simply alter the settings for the global search feature so that it will only pop up with reports the user has access to? Please reply if you need more information.

Thanks,

Vik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @vwithers 

I think changing the name of the report in the workspace is a good option. It's good and recommended to use Apps for end users but rename the report in Apps is also recommended 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vwithers ,

Have you solved your problem? If solved please mark the reply in this post which you think is helpful as a solution to help more others facing the same problem to find a solution quickly, thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @vwithers 

I think changing the name of the report in the workspace is a good option. It's good and recommended to use Apps for end users but rename the report in Apps is also recommended 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973,

Thanks for your quick reply and solution. I would've preferred that this was a feature in the admin portal (to stop users from seeing reports they don't have permissions to in the search bar), but this is a work around that I am okay with. I will submit this as an idea.

Thanks again,

Vik

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors