Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway to ignore local files

I have a report that uses data from SQL Server and refreshes periodically through the gateway. Works fine.

Yesterday I added a new data source, a local Excel file. Now the gateway will not refresh the data anymore because it cannot access the local Excel file.

I see a lot of posts on this forum about this issue. But it seems everybody wants the gateway to access the local file.

I dont want this. I want the data from the local file to be static and only refreshed when I manually refresh the dataset in Power BI Desktop. I dont want the gateway to access the local file.

Is this possible?

I know of these workarounds: importing the data in SQL Server, importing the data into "Enter data" local table, putting the file on OneDrive. But I prefer to simply ignore automatic data refresh for the local Excel file.

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your requirements, it is impossible currently.

You could post your ideas here to improve Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi is this still the case today? Feels like such an obvious requirement. Even when the datasource is set to not refresh in the report it still blocks the scheduled refresh for others. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently it is not possible what you are looking for.

You would either need to have access to the local file, import into SQL Server or use the "Enter Data" feature.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors