Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ChickenWaffles
Frequent Visitor

Gateway connection to Oracle (TNS:listener error)

I'm trying to setup a on-premiss Gateway server. I've got a few other database types connected to the Gateway, but I get an error when trying to connect to my Oracle database. I get a error saying:

Oracle: ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA

To try and trouble shoot I installed powerBI desktop on the same machine and was able to connect to the Oracle. So I don't think this is a firewall or conectivity issue.

The only other thing I can think of is my account has an enviromental variable set for (TNS_ADMIN). Looking at the logs the gateway is using the NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService, but I can't see where that account is expecting to find the *tnsnames.ora* file.

1. How do I find where the Gateway is attempting to get the TNS data from?
2. Is there a way to overwrite/place the ora file being refferanced?

I saw some guides recomending changing the user from the Default account to a Domain account (to solve permissions issues) but they also caused other issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChickenWaffles
Frequent Visitor

@GilbertQ and @v-xicai ,

According to both of the links you have provided I should be selecting a "Direct Connect" checkbox to make sure this is not available. It looks like this is a Power BI Desktop  option only, and not available in the gatway configuration.

I still think there is a good posibility that the system user is not looking at the correct tnsnames.ora file, this was something that happened in the past, but I can't confirm this. Is there any way to confirm what file is being used by the gateway?

UPDATE 1:
I changed the service settings on the Gateway to use my Domain account, originaly configured with the default NT SERVICE/ PBIEgwService. This way the gateway app should pick up on the same TNS file I used, now the connection appears to work.

UNDERLINING CAUSE:

My best guess in my case is that because we use an Enviromental variable for TNS_ADMIN to point to a network drive which contains TNS Listener.  The default service account either was refferancing a different file, I cound not locate and edit, or permissions to that share was blocked when that account was used. Running the service under a "User" account allowed permissions and variable to be set.

OracleDB Gateway setup 2019-12-02 093512.png

Full error reported after error connecting.

OracleDB Gateway error 2019-12-02 093512.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChickenWaffles
Frequent Visitor

@GilbertQ and @v-xicai ,

According to both of the links you have provided I should be selecting a "Direct Connect" checkbox to make sure this is not available. It looks like this is a Power BI Desktop  option only, and not available in the gatway configuration.

I still think there is a good posibility that the system user is not looking at the correct tnsnames.ora file, this was something that happened in the past, but I can't confirm this. Is there any way to confirm what file is being used by the gateway?

UPDATE 1:
I changed the service settings on the Gateway to use my Domain account, originaly configured with the default NT SERVICE/ PBIEgwService. This way the gateway app should pick up on the same TNS file I used, now the connection appears to work.

UNDERLINING CAUSE:

My best guess in my case is that because we use an Enviromental variable for TNS_ADMIN to point to a network drive which contains TNS Listener.  The default service account either was refferancing a different file, I cound not locate and edit, or permissions to that share was blocked when that account was used. Running the service under a "User" account allowed permissions and variable to be set.

OracleDB Gateway setup 2019-12-02 093512.png

Full error reported after error connecting.

OracleDB Gateway error 2019-12-02 093512.png

Thanks for letting us know

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChickenWaffles ,

GilbertQ's suggestion is great, you can also refer to the similar case Build Failure Using Oracle: ORA-12504: TNS:listener Was Not Given The SERVICE_NAME In CONNECT_DATA .

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest following my blog post and all the steps in order to get this refreshing!

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/04/26/power-bi-on-premise-gateway-configuration-steps-to-an-oracle-data...

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ ,

Nice blog, sadly I'm still having the same issue.

Thanks for the kind words.

It does appear that the Orcale side is not setup correctly. It certainly does work.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors