Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Petanek333
Helper III
Helper III

Gateway and Desktop with different server names

Hi, 

I created a report in PBI Desktop. The main data source is a SQL Server database on a remote server. In order to connect to that SQL database on a remote server in PBI Desktop, I have to type an IP address and port as a server name.

Petanek333_0-1668700890761.png

So I upload the report to PBI Service and let the IT department install the on-premise gateway on the server. Gateway is installed correctly.  I go to the dataset settings and under Gateway connection I want to add the data source to gateway

Petanek333_1-1668701262017.png

This should be the standard procedure found in all the tutorials. But there is a problem. Because the gateway is installed on the server directly and it is not accessing the server remotely like I do in PBI Desktop, the credentials are different, namely the server name. 

Petanek333_2-1668701529124.png

I can't type the IP address, it does not work. I have to type the instance, I suppose the reason is that the gateway is installed directly on the server. But there is this rule: The name of your SQL Server instance must be identical to what you specified in Power BI Desktop

However, I don't know how to achieve this. I have to type the IP address and port number 46.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp in Power BI Desktop but this does not work in PBI Service, I have to type the instance there otherwise it does not connect. And vice versa, I cannot type the instance in Power BI Desktop as the server is remote. 

Is there any way how to solve this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Petanek333 - the Server string will need to match how the Gateway is configure, so can I suggest that you create a parameter called "Server" in your PBIX file which contains the IP string.  When you publish this to the Power BI Web Service you can change the Parameter to the Server string.  The new parameter value should be recognised by the Gateway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Petanek333 - the Server string will need to match how the Gateway is configure, so can I suggest that you create a parameter called "Server" in your PBIX file which contains the IP string.  When you publish this to the Power BI Web Service you can change the Parameter to the Server string.  The new parameter value should be recognised by the Gateway.

@Daryl-Lynch-Bzy  thank you very much, it worked! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors