Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

m-colbert
Resolver II
Resolver II

Gateway Folder Data Source using FQDN to a Different Domain - Invalid Credentials

I have a situation where a new gateway was setup on a different domain than where the shared folder resides. Networking is appropriately configured since from the gateway I can access a shared folder on Daimn A from the gateway on Domain B. I can open Windows Explorer, enter the folder as \\server.domaina.com\sharename, I get prompted from credentials and enter domaina\user and the password. Everything connects and I see the contents of the fodler. 

However, when I try to setup a data source on this gateway and use the same settings; Data source type = Folder, Full path is the same as what is entered into Windows Explorer \\server.domaina.com\sharename, using Windows authenication with user name as domaina\user and the users password. I re-rtyped and copied and pasted the values to be sure I dont have a typo. When I click Create, I get the error message:

Unable to create data source. Invalid connection credentials.
Details: xxxxx: The credentials provided for the Folder source are invalid. (Source at \\xxxx.xxxx.com\shared\pass.) xxx Gateway: Gateway on endpoint 'sb://wabi-us-north-central-e-primary-relay37.servicebus.windows.net/6d7c53e7-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-781366338d5f/' is unreachable.

Is there something missing or there a known issue when crossing domains?
Thanks
1 REPLY 1
abelherrera

I found three 3 possible solutions:

1. Create a trusted relationship between the two domain controllers.
  2. If the first option it's not possible, make sure the same user and password are created in both domain controllers. eg. domainA\user-smb and domainB\user-smb. When you create the connector ask the same domain controller where de PowebiConnector is installed.
    abelherrera_0-1690324435426.png

3. The other option is to create the user and password in the server that you install de powerbigateway like a local account, then when you make de connector use .\user_smb

abelherrera_1-1690324711911.png

I understand the Authentication method: "Windows" start a Windows session with the "Windows Username" in the powerbigateway installed. if the user has access the connexion is successful but if not the services use the credential vault.

abelherrera_2-1690324951625.png

In my case, I installed the PBGT in a WS 2022 Standart and matriculate in a domain, I solved the same use with the second method, but for a standalone storage a solved with the 3rd method. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors