Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ivanguidea

External dataset & Power BI embed

Hello, 

I am an UI/UX designer working on an application that needs to offer the ability to create, edit and view reports. We plan to use Power BI embed as an analytics tool we can embed in the application. 

We are trying to figure out if it is possible to use Power BI embed and make it reference a dataset uploaded by an user in the application?

For example, is it possible to achieve the following: 

• An user uploads their own dataset in the application
  • They process it according to a set of rules 
  • Then use that dataset to create a new report using Power BI embed edit mode   

I tried to research the topic but I can not find a conclusive answer and examples if what we need is actually possible with Power BI embed. It seems as no matter what, any external dataset used in a report should first be added via Power BI desktop and only after that referenced in the Power BI embed.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can add datasets via API calls too but there is a lot of additional work involved including setting the dataset ownership and supplying the data source credentials etc.

Imports - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Datasets - Take Over In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

etc

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors