Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

martin_mang
Frequent Visitor

Excel source as a Power BI Service source

Hi, 
I need to build a report into Power BI Service. 

The source data comes from a Teams folder (SharePoint). It is a singe Microsoft Excel file that contains one table. 

I do not want to depend on a Gateway installed onto my own machine, I want to run it independently. 

Somehow I cannot make it work. 

What I have tried so far: 

1. Using a common drive access but the datasource breaks down when the pbix is published into Service. 

2. Using a Teams folder for the file location still causes errors for the refresh in Service (either missing or invalid credentials).

3. Using the Excel as a dataset input inside Service (New --> Dataset) allwos to use it as a source but as connection type is Live then I cannot do any proper transformations. 

Something tells me this cannot be that complicated. Any advice out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You do not need to use a gateway since it is a cloud source.  In the service, remove any gateway setup under the "Gateway connections" section and in the "Data source credentials" section, edit the credentials (use OAuth2 as the authentication method).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martin_mang
Frequent Visitor

Great, thanks. This worked. 

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You do not need to use a gateway since it is a cloud source.  In the service, remove any gateway setup under the "Gateway connections" section and in the "Data source credentials" section, edit the credentials (use OAuth2 as the authentication method).

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It is really easy.

Please see the below.  It says OneDrive for business, but it works perfectly for files on Teams.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Hi, 

Tried that. Works on Desktop but the Service side gives this error: 

martin_mang_0-1689664403170.png

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks, 
Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors