Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevingauv
Advocate II
Advocate II

Error while refreshing a Dataset or a dataflow that use others dataflows as a source

Hi,  since Friday (28-04-2023), we got similar issue with Datasets or Dataflows that use others Dataflows as a source.

We try to reconnect. Still the same issue.

This is an exemple for one of the error message we got:

In this exemple, the error occured when we refresh a Dataset on the service. This Dataset try to connect to a dataflow with a table nam "EPIX - Inventaire magasin" (see at the end of the error message.

DataSource.Error: <ccon>Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server). DataSourceKind = PowerPlatformDataflows. DataSourcePath = PowerPlatformDataflows. Message = A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server). ErrorCode = -2146232060. Number = 53. Class = 20. </ccon>. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: EPIX - Inventaire magasin.
URI du cluster: WABI-CANADA-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
ID d'activité: 436a08be-edf8-48e6-8fbe-1749831bee5a
ID de demande: 0ee64e3a-5153-7b74-a72c-33e5af435680
Heure: 2023-05-01 13:52:16Z

Anyone got the same issue?

9 REPLIES 9
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kevingauv ,

The issue has been fixed.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

kevingauv
Advocate II
Advocate II

Message on Microsoft PowerBI Support Page:

Power BI Dataflow customers connecting datasets via unified Dataflow connector might experience refresh failures with an error message saying, "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible." As a workaround, users can do one of the following:
• Update the dataset to use an On Premises Data Gateway to refresh
• Refresh the dataset on Power BI Desktop and upload the refreshed dataset manually
• Use the legacy dataflow connector
• Set enhanced compute engine in dataflows to "OFF"
Engineers are actively working on a fix and they expect it to be deployed by end of day Monday (5/15).

schloppyestates
Frequent Visitor

This has been posted in the issues forum. Please go vote for that report:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Power-BI-Dataflow-with-connection-to-other-Power-BI-data...

Thx. It seems today that the issue has been reproduce by Internal Microsoft teams. They are working on it.

rbautista

Our PBi Tenant just started experiencing this today.  We haven't made any changes so hoping Microsoft sees this and can resolve the PBi Online service issue.  I can refresh my dataset locally using PBi Desktop using the same Dataflow connector without issues.

This has been reported in the issues forum.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Power-BI-Dataflow-with-connection-to-other-Power-BI-data...

Please vote for this issue there.

I think I figured out a workaround for our dataset using the dataflow connector.  The dataflow we are connecting to had the Compute Engine set to "On".  I updated the Compute Engine to "Optimized" and our DEV and UAT environments refreshed successfully.  Hope MS fixes this so we can set the Compute Engine back to "On".

ce87
Helper I
Helper I

I am having the same issue. Refresh has been working fine until this past weekend. @kevingauv's workaround isn't really a feasible option for me as our entire enterprise reporting structure is based on dataflows and would involve updating the datasources on hundreads of tables across our datasets.

ce87_0-1683030902916.png

Can some from Microsoft chime in on this issue? Is there a fix?

kevingauv
Advocate II
Advocate II

I did find a workaround by switching from "PowerPlatform Dataflow" connector to "Power BI Dataflow (legacy)" connector... strange....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors