Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Enterprise Gateway: can't "see" DNS alias entry for SSAS server?

I have an Enterprise Gateway and it works great.

However, we created a friendly DNS alias for our SSAS server "ProdSSAS" instead of the whole server name.

When I try to use that DNS entry... PowerBI Enterprise gateway can't see it when I add the gateway on the website.... anyone else run into this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
dssharma
Regular Visitor
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

What error message did you see when you enter the server alias name into gateway?

Can you try connecting to SSAS instance via SSMS using this alias? Can you connect to SSAS successfully using this alias in Power BI desktop? Another thing to ensure is that the data source connection string in Power BI desktop and gateway should be same. In other words, you should connect to SSAS via the alias name in the PBI desktop and match it in the gateway.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue working with DNS alias. My Power BI enterprise gateway and the SSAS resides in the same server and I'm able to reach with the DNS alias name. Please see the error details below. Request for help.

Error Details

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to "DNS alias name". Details: "We could not register this data source for all gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details

Activity ID:b8582970-3068-6338-44d7-a76370b88425
Request ID:db72da84-ef8f-d146-d028-432a9f2f003e
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time:Fri Mar 02 2018 16:26:45 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version:13.0.4551.155
KeminPBI-Gateway:The connection to the Analysis Services instance timed out or was lost. Ensure that the server and the 'SQL Browser' service are running.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @OneWithQuestion

I would log into the server where you are running the Enterprise Gateway server and ensure that you can get from that server to your SSAS server with the same name.

The reason is that when a connection is made, nothing really happens in the Power BI Service, but it rather sends a message to the Enterprise Gateway which then creates the connection and uploads or sends the direct query connection to the Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

We used a CNAME record initially, we are testing with an A name now.

Good point:

I double checked to verify and yes I can resolve the friendly DNS name from the gateway server (machine hosting it) and connect to it without issue.... 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors