Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DannyB
Regular Visitor

Enterprise Gateway can't connect to on-premise AS

Hi,

I try to use the new Enterprise Gateway to connect to my on-premise Analysis Services database.

I have installed the gateway on the same server as where my Analysis Service database is hosted on but somehow I keep getting the following error when I try to add a new datasource in "Manage Gateways":

The gateway does not support the specified data source. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of the gateway

Did anyone else run into this issue?

BR Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got it to work by installing SQL Server 2012 CU4.
Thanks for the support guys.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
joanperez
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same issue...

Power BI Error Details:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to *************************. Details: "We reached the data gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source.
Activity ID:bcff2b1d-5013-55d9-60bc-6158c99aaa3d
Request ID:91ff4176-d03a-2646-8942-14d528ca359e
Cluster URI:https://df-msit-scus.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError
Time:Fri Aug 26 2016 13:21:24 GMT-0400 (SA Western Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1605.414

Hi,

I spent hours trying to find a solution for the DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError. Finally this solved the problem...

Unregister these dlls (the ones present on your server - depends on SQL version):

C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\110\msolap110.dll
C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\120\msolap120.dll
C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130\msolap130.dll

Register these dlls (again, the one present on your server):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\120\msolap120.dll
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130\msolap130.dll

Restart all services - SSAS, OP gateway, SQL server just to be sure.

Other interesting topics are:

- if the gateway is behind a proxy server and the default ports are blocked you can force HTTPS only communication (a bit slower)
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

- if you need to setup a proxy it can be done manually using two config files
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-proxy/

- if you face some other connection error consider turning on extended logging on the OP gateway configuration

- generally it is often adviced to run the SSAS and gateway services under one AD account, the same to login to the MS cloud, and to grant it full access to the DB/ SSAS model

- for some issues it might help to update to the latest SQL server service pack and then install the latest cumulative update package

Hopefully this helps someone to avoid the hell I had to go through.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have the same issue so I'll bump this and await your answer. Meanwhile going to try to solve this myself.

Regards

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@DannyB Did you install the latest version of Enterprise Gateway released last week?

Yes, just a few minutes before I tried to configure it

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@DannyB check few more things:

1. The account which you are using to configure data source has access to SSAS

2. Are you able to configure a SQL Server data source?

It will be helpfull if you can share the screenshot of detailed error message.

Regards

Harris

Yes, I can set up a connection to the SQL Server database. The account I am using is administrator on the SSAS instance.

Somehow, I can't upload an image but this is the error message (it's in Dutch):

Kan niet verbinden Er is een fout opgetreden tijdens de verbindingspoging met <servername>. Details: Data source access error.    Details verbergen 

Activiteits-id: fcf78d2f-984c-46f4-b10c-d340090ce890 
Aanvraag-id: ed3ea968-a84a-9b8f-d6b6-5d9749f99583 
Statuscode: 400 
 Foutcode: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError 
 Tijd: Mon Dec 28 2015 14:08:46 GMT+0100 (W. Europe Standard Time) 
Versie: 11.0.9169.163 

Underlying error message: The following system error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.  
 Underlying error code: -1056899072 
 : -2146233088 

Please check, if you have SSAS Server added to the domain.

The last server I tried it on is part of our domain, the first server I tried it on is a Azure VM which is not part of our domain

Please read the following requirements regarding SSAS in IaaS VMs and integration with Power BI

+ useful workarounds:

https://www.artisconsulting.com/blogs/greggalloway/2014/12/19/setting-up-a-demo-of-the-power-bi-anal...

For more troubleshooting hints you can also check Windows Event Logs on SSAS Server (Security section).There should be logon failure events related to SSAS not integrated with domain.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out next week.

Happy new year allready for you all and thanks for the support so far. I will post my results next week

I got it to work by installing SQL Server 2012 CU4.
Thanks for the support guys.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, but I'm using SQL Server 2014. I've installed the last cumulative package for SQL Server 2014 but the result is exactly the same. If you know how to cope with this problem in 2014, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem, an on-premise AS 2012 Server. The build version of the SQL Server seems to be 11.0.3000.0 which is later than the CU4. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I have just downloaded and configured the gateway on an other server (which should connect to an other database), now I get the folowing error:

Activiteits-id: 1034f062-bb42-483a-93f8-e1ad0218b4ff 
Aanvraag-id: cf8866fd-6915-00a2-7a96-6c2e0c31abb9 
Statuscode: 400 
 Foutcode: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_UnsupportedServerVersion 
 Tijd: Tue Dec 29 09:22:02 UTC+0100 2015 
Versie: 11.0.9169.163 

Same story here; connection to the database works but the connection to SSAS fails. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors