Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

pvasquez
Regular Visitor

End-of-Day Reporting

We've just recently started to look into Power BI as sort of our all-in-one solution for obtaining end-of-day reports for our sites, as well as other information based on a site-to-site and employee solution. Our employee who's taken control of the project was able to create some simple Dashboards for each of our sites, but noted that the dashboards are manually re-pinned (by himself) at the end of the day, as they (the dashboards) don't filter by yesterday or today. 

(Currently, information is updated around 6PM automatically. After this time, he's using a slicer to select the current date, and then updating the dashboards.)

We're hoping to cutdown on his work, from having him modify the report slicer by hand, and re-pinning each site, to just having the dashboard content update (after the dataset has refreshed from our DB). We found one post slightly related to this, but no definitive solution was ever conceived. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What about using "M" code in your query to pull data only for the current day? Then, each time the data is refreshed, it will only have the current day and since the dashboard tiles should update automatically when the data is refreshed, you would have an automated solution.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What about using "M" code in your query to pull data only for the current day? Then, each time the data is refreshed, it will only have the current day and since the dashboard tiles should update automatically when the data is refreshed, you would have an automated solution.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi smoupre,

Thank you for your help, and that seems to be the path that I would like to go. As my mate didn't seem to mention, I'm still fairly new on most of this, so I'm still working on even the most basics of coding right now. 

If you could please elaberate just a bit more (in terms of the query filter that would better suit my needs), I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you very much. 

UPDATE: I was able to find the appropriate filter. Thank you again for all of your help!

Well, maybe it's not a one all, end all solution. While I was able to refresh the data via the Desktop app, I received an e-mail with the following error:

Data Source Error:[Expression.Error] The Date value must contain the Date component.
Cluster URI:WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity Id:c8f2dd59-2015-4f92-89ce-fa9cc30dc3a8
Request Id:f27afd38-988b-2fd8-b64f-0833a6759fc3
Time:2015-10-06 15:33:07Z

This was reported after the automated refresh had failed, and after I tried to manually refresh the dataset. I'm assuming this has to do with the filtering that I'm using:

= Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each Date.IsInCurrentDay([DATE]))

It's working on another query, so I think I'll scrub what I have no and attempt a fresh start. 

Odd.

I matched the queries step-by-step, but then added the Date.IsInCurrentDay segment last, and it seems to work without any issues. I'll pit that error on my inexperience. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors