Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gotters
Helper II
Helper II

Download pbix after Update datasource - what do you get?

Can anyone help me understand this limitation in terms of downloading a PBIX file from PBI Service.
(Found here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix)

It reads like its saying that if you download a pbix file after an update datasource has been applied to switch the datasource, then in your report you will still see the old data (from before the update datasource) even though you are looking at a live connected report.

Technically that makes no sense to me how or why it would be like that.

I assume it means the obvious that....

If you download a pbix file and then apply an update datasource to the dataset, you will still see the old data in your report pbix from before the update datasource, even though its live connected (but because it was downloaded before the update)

Bottom line - surely if a dataset undergoes a datasource update AND THEN the report pbix is download, it will be connected to the latest up to date datasource - correct?

Can someone confirm for me?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gotters wrote:

Bottom line - surely if a dataset undergoes a datasource update AND THEN the report pbix is download, it will be connected to the latest up to date datasource - correct?

Thanks

I don't think so. The documentation says the data source update made via REST API is not reflected in the pbix file when you download it. Maybe it is a limitation or intentional. 

View solution in original post

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

when facing limitations just take word by word what the limitation says, in this case its exactly as they say, if you change the datasource via rest apix and download the pbix file it will be connected to the previous source not the update one via rest apis. this could be because simply the feature or fix for it to work the change directly on the file isnt implemented yet or not even on pipeline and its just changing the source on a web service parameter reference instead of the file itself, 

solution. dowload the pbix change the source and upload it with the source changed for any future use u can have.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

when facing limitations just take word by word what the limitation says, in this case its exactly as they say, if you change the datasource via rest apix and download the pbix file it will be connected to the previous source not the update one via rest apis. this could be because simply the feature or fix for it to work the change directly on the file isnt implemented yet or not even on pipeline and its just changing the source on a web service parameter reference instead of the file itself, 

solution. dowload the pbix change the source and upload it with the source changed for any future use u can have.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

By the way, not sure how your solution can work? Even if we could allow our users this kind of access, they are downloading a PBIX that is pointing to a live connected dataset. How could they modify the source? ALl they can do is select which dataset to connect to?

If that's true that's terrible. We are trying to build a Self Service feature allowing our users to download a report connected to a dataset. This simply won't work.
Thanks for your reponse.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gotters wrote:

Thanks

I don't think so. The documentation says the data source update made via REST API is not reflected in the pbix file when you download it. Maybe it is a limitation or intentional. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors