Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

Does PowerBI dataset doesn't allow to join any other dataset in Powerbi premium workspace?

I built a sample enterprise bi semantic model( Powerbidataset) and deployed it in Power Bi premium workspace  and then built a sample report using getdata option (Powerbidataset).

Two things I noticed 

1. The PowerBI report which I deployed didnt have additional dataset in the workspace .It only had the report but no dataset like generally a report has .

2. The PowerBI report also didnt let me join any additonal dataset to the Powerbidataset.

If one wants to join powerbidataset with another dataset in a scenario he or she finds additonal data elements in enterprise powerbidataset how should he or she proceed?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need to enable the DirectQuery for AAS/Power BI Datasets in the preview features. It is still in beta.

edhans_0-1671069046612.png

Once you do that close and reopen Power BI Desktop and the thin report. In the lower right will be a hyperlink that will allow you to make changes to the model. It will convert the report to a DirectQuery report, not a Live Connection report. You can then add other tables, models, and data. 

It is still in preview, so there are bugs/limitiations, and things might change. You should read Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn and Composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn, and have a good understanding of regular and limited relationships before you get super deep into it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

I was able to overcome this problem and was able to create composite model using a PowerBI dataset and on premise SQL server ( see screenshot below)

The problem was I had to click the Powerbi dataset which was presented to me when I changed to direct query mode .It then let me add another database to my model . My personal feedback is that Powerbi dataset shouldnt have been presented to me and I should  have been given oppurtunity add another db right way .( User experience )

NewUser777_0-1671075937848.png

NewUser777_0-1671075568571.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
edhans
Super User
Super User

Ok, that is valuable feedback. You could post that to the Ideas site. Now is a good time because the whole Power BI Datasets/composite model is still in beta so still changes to come.

Ideas (powerbi.com)

I will mark this thread as solved though as the feature does work, though in your scenario not as intuitively as desired.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

You need to enable the DirectQuery for AAS/Power BI Datasets in the preview features. It is still in beta.

edhans_0-1671069046612.png

Once you do that close and reopen Power BI Desktop and the thin report. In the lower right will be a hyperlink that will allow you to make changes to the model. It will convert the report to a DirectQuery report, not a Live Connection report. You can then add other tables, models, and data. 

It is still in preview, so there are bugs/limitiations, and things might change. You should read Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn and Composite model guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn, and have a good understanding of regular and limited relationships before you get super deep into it.

Thanks , I tried that but its not letting me add any other databases other than my Powerbidataset model 

see diagram below

NewUser777_0-1671069398601.png

Also my admin portal direct query settings  has been enabled

NewUser777_0-1671069518846.png

Use the Get Data, Power BI Datasets option. You will get a dialog box like this to pick datasets.

edhans_0-1671069610400.png

I did that but it didnt gave me other databases . I m using Dec 2022 powerbi desktop version . This definetly is a bug

No, it isn't a bug. I can do it fine. I did it earlier today with Dec 2022. 

Do you have build permissions (contibutor or higher) to other datasets? Do other data sets have this setting enabled?

edhans_0-1671074633769.png

Are you sure your current report is a live connection to start with and isn't already a composite model with come calculated tables, field parameters, or anything in Power Query? Even unloaded queries will prevent a report from being a live connection and will already be direct query.

I was able to overcome this problem and was able to create composite model using a PowerBI dataset and on premise SQL server ( see screenshot below)

The problem was I had to click the Powerbi dataset which was presented to me when I changed to direct query mode .It then let me add another database to my model . My personal feedback is that Powerbi dataset shouldnt have been presented to me and I should  have been given oppurtunity add another db right way .( User experience )

NewUser777_0-1671075937848.png

NewUser777_0-1671075568571.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors