Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MDMC
Frequent Visitor

Digit Grouping / Comma Separator

Hello,

I have a Power BI report that is used globally.  Some users are reporting that the report displays values with the incorrect comma separator.  Users see data displayed in the format ##,##,###.  I want them to see the data displayed in the format #,###,###. 

I have been unable to find a way to force the values to display correctly.  I have also been unable to find a regional setting that will display the value correctly.  Because the values need to be used on a graph, I cannot use the FORMAT function.  I tried 

VALUE(FORMAT ( [Total Price], "#,###" )) to format the value and convert it back to a value, but it just defaults to the users setting.  

I asked the user to check the digit grouping setting on their computer (Control Panel -> Clock and Region -> Region -> Additional Settings -> Digit grouping).  It is set as 123,456,789, so it seems correct.  

None of the users use the Power BI desktop, only the service.  Some users in the same region (India) see the values correctly. 

Report Global Reional Settings are set to English.  

I'm at a loss.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @MDMC 

Other users have raised this issue before.

Sorry for that currently powerbi does not support  it now and I didn't find any other workaroud.

Microsoft’s technical response is as follows:

This is by design. Power BI Desktop or Service does not support reading formatting setting from Windows. The only localization setting that we use from Windows is the OS language.

For more details,please check this related thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Comma-Separator-Formats-in-Power-BI/m-p/1083821

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors