Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Deployment from UAT to Production in non premium workspaces.

Hi ,

I have only pro licences. 

I have 2 environments -  UAT and PRODUCTION workspaces.

So they are not premium workspaces and I can not take advantage of Deployment Pipeline option.

I have built a report in UAT and published to power bi service UAT workspace.  The report uses dataflows in the UAT workspace.

I changed the dataflows to point to PRODUCTION workspace. Publised the report in PRODUCTION Workspace.

Use Case

1. I make changes to the report adding new visuals / measurers and published to UAT workspace.

2. Users approve the changes.

3. I have to publish this report to PRODUCTION workspace changing the dataflows to point to PRODUCTION workspace.

Is there any way this process - 3 above - can be automated using power automate. or using PBIT files.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @CheenuSing ,

1. Advanced Capacity Workspace:

• An Advanced Capacity Workspace in Power BI refers to a dedicated capacity or environment where you can deploy and manage your Power BI workloads. It provides enhanced performance, scalability, and isolation compared to shared capacities.
    • Key features of an Advanced Capacity Workspace include:
      • Dedicated Resources: Unlike shared capacities, an advanced capacity is not shared with other users. It’s exclusively allocated to your organization.
      • Higher Memory and Processing Power: Advanced capacities offer more memory and processing power, allowing you to handle large datasets and complex reports.
      • Isolation: Workspaces within an advanced capacity are isolated from other workspaces, ensuring consistent performance.
      • Administrative Control: As an administrator, you have granular control over capacity settings, workspaces, and user access.
  2. Power BI REST API:

• The Power BI REST API allows you to programmatically interact with Power BI services. It provides endpoints for various operations, such as managing workspaces, datasets, reports, dashboards, and more.
    • You can use the REST API to automate tasks, create custom solutions, and integrate Power BI with other applications.
    • For example, you can use the REST API to:
      • Create workspaces.
      • Upload datasets.
      • Embed reports in custom applications.
      • Trigger data refresh.
    • If you’re a developer or an administrator, the REST API is a powerful tool for managing Power BI resources.

Below is the official link will help you:

What is Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CheenuSing ,

For pro licenses that do not have access to a deployment pipeline, there is a way to get from the Pro workspace and deploy to a production environment in the Advanced Capacity workspace, which can be done using the Power BI REST API or the Power BI PowerShell cmdlet. The deployment process can be automated using Azure DevOps or other CI/CD tools. However, it is important to note that there are some limitations when moving content from the Pro workspace to the Advanced Capacity workspace. For example, some features available in the Pro workspace may not be available in the Premium Capacity workspace.

You can refer to the following post that may be helpful to you:

Solved: Am I able to make use of Premium Capacity Deployme... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Also I suggest you save the report as a template and then just change the connection string and publish it.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiandat-msft ,

Can you please elaborate what is Advanced Capacity Workspace and Power BI REST API or the Power BI PowerShell cmdlet.

My client company has only Power Pro licences, 

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing ,

1. Advanced Capacity Workspace:

• An Advanced Capacity Workspace in Power BI refers to a dedicated capacity or environment where you can deploy and manage your Power BI workloads. It provides enhanced performance, scalability, and isolation compared to shared capacities.
    • Key features of an Advanced Capacity Workspace include:
      • Dedicated Resources: Unlike shared capacities, an advanced capacity is not shared with other users. It’s exclusively allocated to your organization.
      • Higher Memory and Processing Power: Advanced capacities offer more memory and processing power, allowing you to handle large datasets and complex reports.
      • Isolation: Workspaces within an advanced capacity are isolated from other workspaces, ensuring consistent performance.
      • Administrative Control: As an administrator, you have granular control over capacity settings, workspaces, and user access.
  2. Power BI REST API:

• The Power BI REST API allows you to programmatically interact with Power BI services. It provides endpoints for various operations, such as managing workspaces, datasets, reports, dashboards, and more.
    • You can use the REST API to automate tasks, create custom solutions, and integrate Power BI with other applications.
    • For example, you can use the REST API to:
      • Create workspaces.
      • Upload datasets.
      • Embed reports in custom applications.
      • Trigger data refresh.
    • If you’re a developer or an administrator, the REST API is a powerful tool for managing Power BI resources.

Below is the official link will help you:

What is Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors