Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CrazyHorse66
Helper I
Helper I

Dataflows incremental refresh

Hi All

I have been looking at this for far too long now, any help gratefully received.

1. Created a simple dataflow in a Premium Workspace - connect to SQL DWH and pull all data (it's a very small dataset to test with, 102 rows only - no where clauses just select fields a,b,c,d from table z)

2. Set up Incremental Refresh using CreatedDate - to store rows from the past 1 month, refresh from the past 7 days - should be 26 rows only - against a DateTime field

3. Refreshes the dataset but I still have 102 rows

4. The RangeStart value has been created but not accounting for the refresh schedule:

#datetime(0001,01,01,00,00,00meta [IsParameterQuery=true, List={}, Type="DateTime", IsParameterQueryRequired=true, Description="autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh"]
5. The RangeEnd value has been created but not accounting for the refresh schedule:
#datetime(9999,12,31,23,59,59meta [IsParameterQuery=true, List={}, Type="DateTime", IsParameterQueryRequired=true, Description="autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh"]

What am I doing wrong? Why is the data not being reduced?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

3. did you mean to say "refreshed the dataflow" ?

How many times did you refresh the dataflow?  Incremental refresh only kicks in at the second refresh.

How many partitions are reported in the refresh history log file?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CrazyHorse66 ,

Try applying a filter on the Created Date column and check the incremental refresh again.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Update: I started all over again and as suggested needed to rerun the refresh 2 or 3 times to take effect - thanks

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Can you confirm that your sample's [Created Date]  values fall into the buckets defined by the partitions?

Hi, here's the 'raw' data, dates in September 2021

CrazyHorse66_0-1632315745276.png

And here's what I set for incremental to test, but nothing changes

CrazyHorse66_1-1632315854306.png

Strange though it has the values twice in dropdown to filter - Created Date

That would be your answer.  Your source data is ambiguous with two columns having the same name, and the Power BI service got confused and chose the wrong one.

Thanks, but the source data does not have columns with same name, for some reason the dropdown to select from does however?

If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

3. did you mean to say "refreshed the dataflow" ?

How many times did you refresh the dataflow?  Incremental refresh only kicks in at the second refresh.

How many partitions are reported in the refresh history log file?

Hi and thanks

Yes I meant it successfully refreshes but the data does not get filtered

I've tried multiple refresh and the data stays the same, RangeStart & RangeEnd do not have the dates I have selected for Incremental Refresh

It looks like there are 7 partitions but none are being processed?

CrazyHorse66_0-1632294251711.png

Please post the last line of the power query.

#"Fact_ChatTransfer-4372656174656444617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each DateTime.From([CreatedDate]) >= RangeStart and DateTime.From([CreatedDate]) < RangeEnd)
in
  #"Fact_ChatTransfer-4372656174656444617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors