Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JKHildi
Helper I
Helper I

Data set not refreshing

Hello everyone. I am new to this game and need some guidance.

I have a gateway cluster setup that houses four datasets. I have connected to them successfully on both desktop and online. I have the data sources "mapped" under the gateway connection in settings. I have an on-prem server and the off-site data is being hosted in "the cloud" through a third party. I have updated both the on-prem gateway and the off-site gateway to ensure that we are using the November update for both the desktop version as well as the online version.

When I try to manually refresh the data on-line, it fails and tells me my credentials are invalid. See the screenshot. I honestly have never been able to refresh on-line. What step am I missing?

JKHildi_0-1607111706435.png

Thanks for the help in advance!

Justin

6 REPLIES 6
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JKHildi ,

Has your problem been solved?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JKHildi
Helper I
Helper I

Hi there team. We have narrowed it down to an issue with the SQL server. The company hosting our Data Warehouse did not have the backend setup correctly. I will update this thread with the specifics when I get them.

JKHildi
Helper I
Helper I

Hey there BI Community, I believe that this comes down to a VPN issue. Can I use a VPN on Power BI services?

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JKHildi ,

1. Edit credentials.

v-lionel-msft_0-1607308036778.png

2. Choose authentication method.

You should use "WindowsWithoutimpersonation".

v-lionel-msft_1-1607308210235.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft,

Thanks for the response. Under Authentication Method, I don't have "WindowsWithoutImpersonation". I have three options to choose from and they are: "Basic", "Windows", & "OAuth2". 

I see in your test setup above, that the server is "Localhost". I assume that because I am trying to connect to a SQL Server that I don't have this option?

JKHildi_0-1607347192423.png

JKHildi
Helper I
Helper I

Look at this picture as well. It shouldn't have to do with using my MS credentials to login to BI and then using different credentials for the data source correct?

JKHildi_0-1607112160197.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.