Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LuckyPants

Data Privacy using ODATA JSON API

For a banking client we are looking to leverage PowerBI to run reports. The data we get for reports is available through an ODATA JSON API endpoint hosted in a cloud SaaS. We'd like to use PowerBI.com to host reports, mainly paginated reports, and have those reports use the ODATA endpoints for the report datasource. 

The question is, is there an architecture / deployment scheme where we can have it so that the reports when run by the client actually never have the data transmitted to/through PowerBI.com. That the data goes directly from the SaaS endpoint to the customer as the reports are rendered for the customer.  If this is possible, what considerations should be made to ensure the data doesn't end up on PowerBI.com.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have a lookat Power BI Report Server.  That supposedly stays entirely on-prem.

Power BI Report Server | Microsoft Power BI

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LuckyPants ,

Agree with Ibendlin.

Likewise, you can check the following links to see if they are helpful to you.

What is Power BI Report Server? 

Why and how to use data protection in Power BI 

Deep dive into the Power BI Data Privacy settings 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Caitlyn,

Thanks for the links.

I see the points on protection labels which prevent data exfiltration, and other issues. I also see the comments on using Report Server which I understand by nature of course would mean the data could be private. 

Is that a confirmation then that there is no way to host a file in PowerBI.com without the actual data going through PowerBI.com as per the scenario I laid out?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have a lookat Power BI Report Server.  That supposedly stays entirely on-prem.

Power BI Report Server | Microsoft Power BI

I see the comments on using Report Server which I understand by nature of course would mean the data could be private. 

Is that a confirmation then that there is no way to host a file in PowerBI.com without the actual data going through PowerBI.com as per the scenario I laid out?

Yes.  There is no way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors