Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard live - tiles doesn't update automatically

Hello to everybody ,

I have the following issue . I have create a live dashboards which contains both tiles and a a pinned visual from report with historical data .

The pinned visual is updated automatically . On the other hands the tiles doesn't . If i interact with the page in anyway ( refresh , open focus mode) the data get refreshed . 

Any idea? 

Kind Regards , 

Giannis 

8 REPLIES 8
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to the official document,Power BI maintains a cache for every tile visual on your dashboards and proactively updates the tile caches when data changes. In other words, tile refresh happens automatically following a data refresh. 

You can also force a tile refresh by selecting More options (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

In addition, Pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed.

Refer to :

Updating dashboard tiles - Online Service - Enterprise DNA Forum

Last Refresh Option for a tile in a Power BI Dashboard - YouTube

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-eqin-msft 

Maybe i didnt explain it correctly but i think we are talking about complety different things. 

I read all your references and you are talking about dashboard and refresh in general . 

My issue is related to streaming dataset .

Based on the official document :

Real-time streaming in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

1. Power BI REST APIs can be used to create and send data to push datasets and to streaming datasets. 
  2. Once a report is created using the push dataset, any of its visuals can be pinned to a dashboard. On that dashboard, visuals update in real-time whenever the data is updated.
  3. The only way to visualize a streaming dataset is to add a tile and use the streaming dataset as a custom streaming data source. The custom streaming tiles that are based on a streaming dataset are optimized for quickly displaying real-time data.

So if i create a dashboard an use either the tiles or pin a visual from the same datasource  everything works fine. 

If i combine on the same dashboard using the same & single datasource (with historic data analysis enable) tiles & visual then only the visual get refreshed.

So is there an issue , i am doing something wrong or there are limitations that are not described on the official document??

Thank u

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I see, you have a mix of tiles from streaming datasets and from regular datasets. I assume the regular datasets are in import mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No,  all tiles are using the same streaming dataset . When creating a streaming dataset if you enable the historic data it gives you the option beyound the dashboard  to create report and if you want pin visuals from there .

There is no option import or direct query , i suppose it;s just streaming . 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I am still not clear what you are doing. As I understand it you create a tile by pinning a visual (or a report page). Maybe you can show a snapshot of what you mean by "native choice" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

By tiles i mean the 3 ones on the upper side . I create them by add tile and select the streaming dataset .

itrichas_1-1614591648853.png

If i keep only them they works fine. 

Then i am going back to the report i create from the streaming dataset i choose one visual and pin it to the same dashboard . 

And from there one the autorefresh for the tiles stops working . 

The pinned visual is working fine . 

itrichas_0-1614591365453.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have create a streaming dataset (api connector) with the historic data analysis enable . 

On top of that i have build a report & a dashboard. 

The dashboard contains tiles & a pinned visual from the relative report ( i also tried report page) . 

Everything on the dashboard is feed by the same source. 

If i keep only the tiles or the pinned visual it works fine. 

If i combine both then only the visual get refreshed automatically . The tiles are refreshed only if i interact with them ( either refresh  or focus mode ) . 

By tiles i mean the native choice that dashboard gives . 

Thank u 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

needs more detail. What is feeding the tiles?  Other report visuals?  Report pages?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors