Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mgkruk1966
Frequent Visitor

Custom Visuals not working after latest Download of Power BI

After downloading the latest version of Power BI the custom visualizers I had all disappeared.  Chiclets gone.  Bullet chart, adios.

I can't even get new custom visuals to load no more to choose new ones.  It goes through the motions but nothig is available to use.

I can't be recreating all my reports and dashboards.

Arghhhh

Mark

10 REPLIES 10
nlenzi
Frequent Visitor

I just encountered this same exact issue. I updated my desktop with no problem, the custom visuals were all still visable. I even published using the new version and the online report shows the visuals. 

However today I opened the reports I have in the desktop and all of my custom visuals are gone. Any luck fixing it? 

nlenzi
Frequent Visitor

All but a couple seconds later I fixed it... All I did was try to reinstall a custom visual. It prompted that it already existed and asked if I would like to update it, I accepted and it and all other customs appeared. 

Hi there.

I am having a similar issue. I am using an old custom visualization, "Synoptic Panel By SQLBI", which does not exist anymore on Microsoft Store. It works perfectly fine on the Desktop, but when published, it disappears.

Please help me to fix this, because I have plenty of reports with that visual as one of the main analysis tools.

Best regards,

Manuel

mgkruk1966
Frequent Visitor

This is not affecting anything online as when I publish all the visualizations work and appear so this is a desktop issue.  If someone knows how to move this post, I will be happy to recategorize it to get a more appropriate audience.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is this really in the Service or the Desktop? I just imported the SandDance custom visual using the June version of Power BI Desktop and it appears to work OK. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

You tell me where it goes.  As a new user and member to Power BI, I am just looking for answers.  I have no doubt reloading and making pages from scratch everything works fine. But your statement does not change the fact that my dashboards and custom visulizations are not working and making them over is not a viable solution. As I will not enter that path everytime something breaks from an update.  Thanks for trying to help but I need answers to solve the issue, not a debate on whether I posted this in the correct location.  Thanks.

Mark

I was simply attempting to replicate your issue as it is much easier to troubleshoot that way and try to determine if it is a common issue with the new Power BI Desktop release or specific to your installation. Couple things to try in terms of troubleshooting and such:

• If you have the old installation EXE, you can try installing that to see if the old version works. If not, I have have the old installation from last month that I can share with you
  • You can go to File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics and turn on Tracing and then open a file that has the custom visuals, try to add a custom visual, etc. and save the trace log
  • You can open a ticket at support.powerbi.com, they will likely want the trace log

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@mgkruk1966 Based on your description, it sounds like you are in the Desktop - because you don't download a new version of the Service (app.powerbi.com) - they just automatically update it.

The confusion may be around the reference to "Dashboards" as those only exist in the Service.

Have you deployed the reports to the Service? And are they working?

Is the issue confined to just the Desktop version you downloaded? Could you list the version? File -> About

Have you downloaded the latest custom visuals from the visuals gallery - updates happen to those as well. So once in awhile something may break between versions if you don't get the latest visuals download.

Worst case, you should still have the last version of the Desktop in your downloads folder on your local machine. You could re-execute that old package to revert back to the older version until you straighten things out or figure out what happened.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

First thanks for the feedback.  This is not a service issue as I am learning the terminology.  This is a desktop issue.  I have reloaded the desktop version to correct a different issue.  I tested publishing the desktop to the service and everything works fine online. So end users are not feeling an impact.  Another issue is, regardless of which version of the customize visual I use new or old.  I can select them but they do not show up after loading and I do have any listed to remove.

We'll keep trying.  I have work arounds but we should be fixing the issue and not treating the systems but I will settle for the treatment if no cure is found.

Mark.

@mgkruk1966 As you go through this, I'll point out that while custom visuals offer a lot in terms of functionality that isn't native, the full synchronisation with the tool isn't quite where it should be. You aren't the first to have issues with the CV's after updates... Untill they get things sandboxed and part of the release cycle, I would use caution when implementing them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors