Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Creating Security groups for use in PowerBI Admin Portal - do you guys just bug IT every time?

I'm a Power BI Admin at my organization. Various settings in the PowerBI Admin Portal can be enabled/disabled for various Security Groups. e.g.

• Receive email notifications for service outages or incidents
  • Use datasets across workspacesShare content with external users
  • Certification

And many more useful things. 

Sounds great, but the only roles in Microsoft 365 that can create security groups, are Global Admin & User Admin.   I'm neither of those things. 

I'm curious how you folks go about this. 

• Bug IT everytime?
  • Got IT to give you User Admin rights? 
  • Avoid Security Groups in some what I'm not seeing? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah, I just log a call to the IT department and they then add or remove the users.

Unfortunately it is only a Global Admin or designated Admins who can configure security groups.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I have done is to create a good working relationship with the Admins, if you also explain to them that creating the security groups will make everything more secure, they often will buy into it.

Power BI Blog

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@GilbertQ 

Thanks. Everytime you want to add (or remove) a user from a Security Group - is that also something you then need IT for? 

I'm having troulble finding if someone outside of Global Admin / User Admin can add/remove members from Security Groups.  Seems like no? 

Yeah, I just log a call to the IT department and they then add or remove the users.

Unfortunately it is only a Global Admin or designated Admins who can configure security groups.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors