Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tjsk12345

Couldn't publish to power BI: already exists and is set up with cloud refresh

We have a dataset/report in PowerBI Server which was previously published from a .pbix file stored in SharePoint.

That file was recently deleted and the link between PBI Server and the .pbix file was lost. We've restored the file in SharePoint, but the link between SharePoint and PBI Server was not recovered.

As a potential workaround and process improvement, we tried downloading the existing file from PBI Server and publishing from PBI Desktop (using the same file name and selecting "Replace" when prompted). When we attempt this, we get an error message due to the existing report being set up with "cloud refresh" (see image below for exact error message).

Looking for support in restoring a live link for this dataset/report (as there are numerous downstream files), either by:

1. recovering the link/Document ID used to link PBI Server to SharePoint
  2. Ideally, finding a way to publish over (replace) existing source file away from the .pbix stored in SharePoint to using the Publish feature in PBI Desktop.

error message.png

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
sebadb9
Advocate V
Advocate V
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @tjsk12345 ,

I would have done what you did:

As a potential workaround and process improvement, we tried downloading the existing file from PBI Server and publishing from PBI Desktop (using the same file name and selecting "Replace" when prompted). When we attempt this, we get an error message due to the existing report being set up with "cloud refresh" (see image below for exact error message).

BUT, after downloading it, you will have to delete the report from the workspace.  Then you will be able to publish again.  Most likely, you then will also have to get a new embed link (not 100% sure that you need a new one but I would expect you to need a new onw) and put that into SharePoint to get things going again.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq !

If we do it this way, do we risk losing connection to upstream data sources or downstream reports and dashboards within PBI?

While we've lost the connection to the .pbix (i.e., ability to edit data model, measures, etc in Desktop - because we can't currently download, edit and replace either via SharePoint or via embedded Download/Publish feature) we've retained the connections to data sources and downstream reporting within Service. 

Ideally, we're hoping for a solution that doesn't require editing each of those other linkages. 

Thanks for your help.

Hey @tjsk12345 ,

By pulling down the file and then re-publishing the links that you might have to rebuild are just the gateway connections in the service settings for this dataset. 

Since you have a file in desktop that file will have the connections.

I guess that a safe route would be to do it this way:

1. download the file from the Service

2. in Desktop, refresh it (to confirm data links all are still good)

3. rename file in Desktop *just put a '2' or something at the end of it

4. go to settings in Service and see what you have to do

5. embed with the new report and see what you may have to change

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors