Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NY_ZK

Couldn't load data for this visual

Hi,

I have published a report and it looks fine in my view via the browser but to other users the visuals will not load. 

I have built this report from an existing published dataset, and created another dataset ontop using some calculated columns and measures to build my new report. 

This is what the user sees:

NY_ZK_1-1630574146077.png

This is the error the users see when they click for more details on the failed to load visuals:

NY_ZK_0-1630574029200.png

I have tried adding build permissions to my shared dataset and the error still remains. 

The report is shared via a distribution list and I have shared the link to specific users as a test. 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

You added build permissions to your shared dataset.

Did you add build permissions to the dataset your dataset is sourced from?

This typically explains this behavior for us, we build a Report B from Dataset A we must grant permissions at both sources.

View solution in original post

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NY_ZK ,

My testing showed that, as @tctrout  mentioned, if you share the report with other users, you have to give them the build permissions for the referenced dataset and the access permissions for that report. This is also mentioned in the documentation.

vkkfmsft_0-1630993156016.png

You need add these users as contributor, member or admin roles to the workspace. Or you can give the build permissions to these users in the dataset permissions management.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NY_ZK ,

My testing showed that, as @tctrout  mentioned, if you share the report with other users, you have to give them the build permissions for the referenced dataset and the access permissions for that report. This is also mentioned in the documentation.

vkkfmsft_0-1630993156016.png

You need add these users as contributor, member or admin roles to the workspace. Or you can give the build permissions to these users in the dataset permissions management.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @tctrout and @v-kkf-msft . I got our data team to add build permissions to dataset A and the visuals loaded for the viewers. 

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

You added build permissions to your shared dataset.

Did you add build permissions to the dataset your dataset is sourced from?

This typically explains this behavior for us, we build a Report B from Dataset A we must grant permissions at both sources.

Hi,

Thank you for response!

I have build permissions from dataset A but the users have view permissions on dataset A. They have view and build permissions from dataset B.

It would be risky to give them build permissions on datasetA as the DQ is quite intensive. Is this the only solution possible ?

We've had other reports load fine but the reports were only built and published from one dataset, not a dataset built off another dataset.

Thanks! 

Typically, if you grant users Viewer Role within the wource workspace containing they automatically get build permissions to all content in that workspace.  By what you outlined above, it appears you may have removed build permission on all the datasets to all the users with Viewer Role into that workspace.  

I typically dont implement this architecture.  Instead, if users are deemed appropiate to view content within a workspace, we assume it is appropiate for those same users to build content from that workspace.  We are not concernd about how highly transofrmative our datasets may have been, as the users with build permissions will not see nor change any of this.  Instead, they build from a pre built / pre defined dataset already wired up and ready to go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors