Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine Tabular Models

I would like to combine two tabular models (eg company 1 and company 2) with the exact same solution (tables columns, measures, relationships etc) into one tabluar model from where we build reports and analyse etc

Asked differently: Is there a way to build reports from a combined dataset for company 1 and companyy 2 without doing it in SQL Dataware and without combining the same type of tables from each company's data warehouse from two sources into one tabular model?

Which approaches could one follow?

- is it possible to do it in Visual Studio/Tabular Editor/Analysis Services?

- is it possible to combine datasets (eg dataset for company 1 and dataset for company 2) in Power BI Service?

- other options?

We have a scenario where each country needs to have its own data warehouse, would like it's own tabular model separate, but there is a "holding company" that would like a combined tabular model. Underlying databases (datawarehouses) having the exact same database design and both companies run off the same tabular model solution.

Can somebody advise on architecture to create the combined model best?

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

If I was about to do this I would create a single tabular model from the multiple data warehouses. This would allow me to satisfy the requirement for both the holding company as well as country companies.

I would do this in Power BI desktop and then publish this to the Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

Thank you for the response.

How would you combine the different DIM and FACT tables in Tabular Model project?

Combine the DIM's and FACT's from the two data warehouse databases using Power Query?
Combine them using a new combined data warehouse database with views of the two underlying databases DIM's and FACT's?

Other methods?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors