Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amirghaderi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Change existing PBIX dataset connection from Excel to a Power Bi Dataset

I have a PBIX file which is linked to Excel files in sharepoint site. The PBIX file is ready the data from Excel, then in power query transformed and pulled to the dataset and relationship has been established, reports generated. Now, I want to migrate that to have dataflow in Power Bi service, dataset from Power Bi service, and use the existing reports. I have figured out how to copy the queries from desktop version to Dataflow. But, I am struggling to find an easy way convert my existing PBIX file with all its relationship to a proper datas et which is linked to data flow. Basically, I am trying to save time not to start from scratch. Is there any easy way to replace the data source for PBIX file to be Power Bi dataflow.

For example, if I have table A in desktop version which is from excel file, I want to change its source to be Table A in power Bi dataflow service.

Thanks,

Amir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

In a new pbix file connect to each entity (table) in your dataflow.

Open your existing file and click transform data. Go into each table and click advanced editor.

If you replace the M code in there with the stuff you just created in the new pbix it should all pick up fine.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

In a new pbix file connect to each entity (table) in your dataflow.

Open your existing file and click transform data. Go into each table and click advanced editor.

If you replace the M code in there with the stuff you just created in the new pbix it should all pick up fine.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors