Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MaugerHC

Card with data from a sharepoint List Blank after a scheduled refresh

Hi

I have a report (built in desktop). When it gets published a card that has data from a sharepoint list - is showing the correct details. However after a scheduled refresh - the card is BLANK.

Doing a refresh in the service report makes no difference - doing a refresh of the Semantic model makes no difference - the only way to get my data back is to refresh the desktop report and rebublish. 

The other visuals which pull dta from various other sources all work as expected in the service report after a scheduled refresh

Struggling to find a resolution - any help would be gratefully received

Helen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Think I have found my issue

Cause:

In Power BI Desktop, a column is created in power query using the M function: Date.IsInPreviousMonth(dateTime as any).

The data returned is nullable logical but you didn't change the type to true/false.

Then you are applying a filter=true to that field in Power BI Desktop.

When the report is published to Power BI Service and Refreshed, the service is returning -1/0 for the nullable logical, thus the report presents (Blank) values because the filter applied is set to true.

Moral of the story - always check your data types when creating columns 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MaugerHC

Hi Christine - thanks for the suggestions

All looked good and we could see the data actually being pulled through - just not displaying in the visuals

We went back to basics and put in a simpel visual of the sharepoint list into the desktop report with no filter - published - made a change to the data - did a refresh of the Semantic and all was good. It appears our issue is that there is a filter on the visual (in the desktop build) and this is causing our problem.

Now looking into how we can work around this as we need the filters 

Think I have found my issue

Cause:

In Power BI Desktop, a column is created in power query using the M function: Date.IsInPreviousMonth(dateTime as any).

The data returned is nullable logical but you didn't change the type to true/false.

Then you are applying a filter=true to that field in Power BI Desktop.

When the report is published to Power BI Service and Refreshed, the service is returning -1/0 for the nullable logical, thus the report presents (Blank) values because the filter applied is set to true.

Moral of the story - always check your data types when creating columns 

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

The only time I've had this issue is when I had the scheduled refresh running with a different account (e.g. service account) and was using the SharePoint list setting "users can only see their own items". If you're doing this combination of things, make sure the account that is running the refresh has "full control" permission on the list to bypass the setting. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors