Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can't save dataflow, cannot acquire lock for model

Can anyone provide any insight into this error?

2019-10-15_10h52_55.png

I get it sparadically, when editing existing dataflows and trying to add new entities, or even creating new dataflows.  I don't have any other tabs open when the dataflow being edited, no other users are using it.

Edit1:

Hmmm I cancelled out, waited a few minutes, and went to make my changes again--however the changes are there.

So the save went through even with the model lock error...I wonder if it was trying to save twice behind the scenes?  The first save went through and the second failed because of the first pending, throwing the message?

Edit2:

I restarted my premium capacity and everything saves now.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hmmm I cancelled out, waited a few minutes, and went to make my changes again--however the changes are there.

So the save went through even with the model lock error...I wonder if it was trying to save twice behind the scenes?  The first save went through and the second failed because of the first pending, throwing the message?

View solution in original post

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This is what I've observed.

I have a few dataflows at work here.

For each entity, I have:

• Ingest
  • Cleanse
  • Final

So I have

• Customers_1-Ingest
  • Customers_2-Cleanse
  • Customers_3-Final
  • Orders_1-Ingest
  • Orders_2-Cleanse
  • Orders_3-Final

Each previous dataflow is a linked entity in the following one ("Customers_1-Ingest" is a linked entity in "Customers_2-Cleanse").  So refreshing the "1-Ingest" dataflows will refresh the downstream dataflows.

This also puts a lock on them.

All my "Final" queries are added as linked entities in "For Consumption_Customers and Orders".  Since they're linked, this dataflow gets locked when something upstream is refreshing.

What I've noticed is:

• I can't refresh more than one "1-Ingest" at a time, because the first one puts on a lock on "For Consumption" so the second "1-Ingest" I try to run is unable to get the lock and fails with "MWC client failed with user or caller error".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get this all the time. The only time I can get it to work is if I start updating in the morning, before I open any Power BI files or edit any files that the dataflow links to.

@jeffshieldsdev I had this issue for some time until I basically had to blow my entire model away and start again.. I haven't come across it again since, so I had put it down to a 'glitch' not seeing anyone else previously experiencing this and unable to replicate the issue with MS Support...

However I've had a persisent issue ever since with this same 'saving' issue you describe.. for some reason any attempt to 'save' anything in Dataflows/PowerQuery takes a herrendously long time to complete, and mostly (ie. it saves 'correctly' on the rarest of occasions) results in a 'Something went wrong' or 'can't save changes' error.

2019-11-26_1247.png2019-11-26_1246.png

However if I persist to keep trying to save the dataflow using the couple of different options available on-screen (ie. 'Couldn't save changes - Retry', or hit Close & Save) then eventually, I'll get this message instead:

2019-11-26_1248_001.png

I've worked out that once I see this message, I can actually now go Close > Don't save , to escape the loop of error messages.. however my dataflow has actually saved successfully (if i go back in and check, my changes are still made)...!

2019-11-26_1249.png

I've been able to make no real sense of this, and trying to replicate the issue on a small scale never seems to produce the issue (I've already had previous support calls to MS to look at the 'lock' issue, which wasn't re-producable, and have done my own testing on small scale stuff as well, but of course everything just works fine haha. its only when I really start building this stuff out into a sizeable linked entity model such as your own that these weird locks and saving issues start to appear. So I have basically 'settled' for this unconventional, time intensive method of saving things.. at the end of the day, the changes are made and stuff still works... it just seems a little 'too hard basket' to resolve something like this an I'm just hoping this is something that might eventually get ironed out in future updates?

@jeffshieldsdev  I forgot to mention - we have restarted our Premium Capacity  several times throughout this recent run of bug fixes.. but that seems to have had no effect on this issue re-occuring.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This is what I've observed.

I have a few dataflows at work here.

For each entity, I have:

• Ingest
  • Cleanse
  • Final

So I have

• Customers_1-Ingest
  • Customers_2-Cleanse
  • Customers_3-Final
  • Orders_1-Ingest
  • Orders_2-Cleanse
  • Orders_3-Final

Each previous dataflow is a linked entity in the following one ("Customers_1-Ingest" is a linked entity in "Customers_2-Cleanse").  So refreshing the "1-Ingest" dataflows will refresh the downstream dataflows.

This also puts a lock on them.

All my "Final" queries are added as linked entities in "For Consumption_Customers and Orders".  Since they're linked, this dataflow gets locked when something upstream is refreshing.

What I've noticed is:

• I can't refresh more than one "1-Ingest" at a time, because the first one puts on a lock on "For Consumption" so the second "1-Ingest" I try to run is unable to get the lock and fails with "MWC client failed with user or caller error".

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeffshieldsdev ,

I saw you can do "save" action currently. Is your problem solved? If it is solved, you can accept your own answer.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors