Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DanUlrich
Regular Visitor

Can a Report use Multiple Datasets?

I see question and answer from 2 years ago re: this topic, but needing to do this today.  Can you add another Dataset or several Datasets to a Report?

To me this would be the only way to create a Large Dashboard with Filters and Slicers, is to build one big report, then publish it all to a dashboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DanUlrich

In Power Bi service, you can create multi reports by the same dataset, However you cannot create one report by using different dataset. One way to work around, creating dashboard could combine different visuals from different reports. Also you can connect to all the data sources of different datasets and import the data by Power BI desktop, then you can use all the data.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
JueLeCont

skefayath
Frequent Visitor

@aleksvp 

The turn-around for your problem may be that you can turn-off the refresh data option of the table that are loaded from the databace and turn-on the tables that are loaded from the onedrive.

This can be achieved in Power BI desktop 

Power BI Desktop > Home > Transform data > Click on table name > Click on All Properties on right side > uncheck include in report refresh option 

skefayath_0-1657725679117.png

skefayath_1-1657725724303.png

The tables unchecked will not load when refreshed in Power BI Service.

Hope this answers your questions 

Thanks 
Syed 

aleksvp
Helper I
Helper I

I do want to do this for a particular reason. Most of my data if on a database, but a small part is on a spreadsheet in onedrive, for which I need to scheduled a periodic refresh. When I publish my report, all the data is considered as one dataset, so I can not scheduled the refresh for the spreadsheet. Any solutions?

One thing I tried was creating a dataset on PowerBI Service, than tried to import it via PowerBI Desktop using the option Get data-> Power BI data sets. But, for a reason I do not know, the dataset I've created does not appears as a option, only the others created when I publish reports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get the speadsheet through the OneDrive link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--TpY5sYqk). From there, you can pull your data from the database using the dataset you published. Publish this report/dataset, and then schedule the refreshes! 

I did this, but the point is: on my report there is data from the spreadsheet and from a database. When I publish on powerbi service, it all became a single dataset, so I can not schedule the refresh to the data that came from the spreadsheet since powerbi service see it all as a single dataset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you refresh that dataset it should still refresh that spreadsheet. Could you change a few values to test it out? 

The problem is I can't refresh the database, cause it is local and I can't use a gateway. 

As explained in earlier reply of mine .. you can confirure which table/field needs to be refreshed when a start a refresh in local or service .. so you need to turn on the refresh for only table that is loading from share point and turn off other tables 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you only want to refresh the spreadsheet? How did you connect to the database originally without the gateway? 

So you only want to refresh the spreadsheet? Yes 
How did you connect to the database originally without the gateway? You do not need a gateway to connect to the database, just need it to automatic refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

So when you hit you refresh, is it giving you an error?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can now create one report with multiple datasets through DirectQuery (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...). If you are having trouble setting up DirectQuery (ex. getting the "The connect live option for this file is disabled" error), make sure this is enabled below. 

JoshAnness_0-1652898901779.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard formatting options are very minimal and resolution on different laptops are causing it - confusing to users. 

Going back from Dashboard to report and navigating back to Report - that UI isn't intuitive as well.

Back button is all the way on bottom left corner of screen - hence, on different screen resolution laptop , it gets hidden. Kind of hard to explain this to business users. 

Hopefully Power BI improves the dashboard features and functionality!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone is able to import the data from different datasets?

Could you provide the steps?

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DanUlrich

In Power Bi service, you can create multi reports by the same dataset, However you cannot create one report by using different dataset. One way to work around, creating dashboard could combine different visuals from different reports. Also you can connect to all the data sources of different datasets and import the data by Power BI desktop, then you can use all the data.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

This is possible now by using composite models. 

Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is no longer correct.  Please see below answer by Maignan or 
Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folkfs,

DUe to a new Direct Query features in preview now you CAN now use two Power BI service Dataset in the same report, when creating a local model. There are limitations, but it works. More info there 

<https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...>

Did something change recently?  I was able to do this until today. 

I keep getting this error: Details: "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect."

my existing reports which I have multiple data sets still work.  But I can not combine new ones anymore. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors