Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best practice for editing shared PBI file

Hi,

I just wanted to ask. I am based in AUstralia, and we have a user who will be editing a PBI report for us in Singapore. The pbix file is currently in sharepoint.

Instead of downloading the pbix file in sharepoint, and re-uploading it to sharepoint everytime she makes changes to it, I have suggested that she should download the pbix file located from the sharepoint site, put it into her onedrive and work on the pbix file within her oneDrive. Hence, any changes that she makes on the pbix file within her oneDrive reflects onto the pbix file in sharepoint automatically, as both onedrive and sharepoint are both cloud services. Therefore, she does not need to re-upload the pbix file into sharepoint everytime she makes a change. Is my guidance/understanding on this correct? If not, what is the correct way?

Regards,

Eye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This certainly can and will work.

The only caveat is that when you connect to your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive/SharePoint it always has to connect in that way.

Seth from PowerBI.Tips has a great blog post on the caveats. https://powerbi.tips/2019/10/power-bi-datasets-a-method-to-the-madness/

What I do is I store all my PBIX files on OneDrive/Sharepoint and multiple people Sync those folders, so we all got access to the files. And then co-ordinate when to upload them using the Publish button

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This certainly can and will work.

The only caveat is that when you connect to your Power BI Desktop file from OneDrive/SharePoint it always has to connect in that way.

Seth from PowerBI.Tips has a great blog post on the caveats. https://powerbi.tips/2019/10/power-bi-datasets-a-method-to-the-madness/

What I do is I store all my PBIX files on OneDrive/Sharepoint and multiple people Sync those folders, so we all got access to the files. And then co-ordinate when to upload them using the Publish button

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors