Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Analysis Services Authentication: Authentication Type Not Supported

I have created a PowerBI data model, part of which connects to an existing PowerBI dataset via DirectQuery, so we can enrich the data available in the dataset for our own purposes. This works fine within the PowerBI Desktop app and the visuals display as expected, but I have encountered issues I'm unable to resolve after publishing reports based on my data model to the PowerBI Service. A red bar at the top of the reports reads "There is no available gateway" and all the visuals associated with the DirectQuery dataset read "Can't display the visual". I navigated to the "Manage connections and gateways" section of settings and I can see that the data source for the DirectQuery (data source type is listed as Analysis Services) is offline. The associated error message reads "The authentication type 'SingleSignOn' is not supported. Only the authentication type 'Windows' is supported." I went back in to the PowerBI Desktop app and reconfigured the authentication type for the DirectQuery to Windows, then refreshed the data and saved and republished the reports, but the issue persists. I can't seem to find any advice online on how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Ooops did not share this issue when i said I would
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/There-is-no-available-gateway-Couldn-t-load-the-data-for-thi...

there seems to be something odd.

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

I am gettign the same issues.. "There is no available gateway"
If i try building a new visual on the web I get this
"Couldn't load the data for this visual"
Everything worked a few days ago..

I have connected to a Power BI data model then imported other data sets so it is a composet model.

Hi @asjones 

Can you make sure in your data source settings that it is mapped to a gateway or has the data source credentials updated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ 
My gateway says it is setup correct untill I addan external data source and publish.

I havea composet model developed by Power BI Desktop connecting to a data model then adding on 2 Excel files to the data model. So DirectQuerey via SQL Server Analysis Services. Everything worked fine a week or two ago. Now when i publish the model I get a gateway error

When I dig into the Gateway setting this it says the Gateway can't find my data model or the extra excel sheet that i added to the model. ... seems odd it says it can't find he data model that is in the Power BI Cloud.

IF I remove the extra excel sheet from the model and repbublish everything it all works fine.  Something seems messed up with the new composet model stuff when adding an extra local data source. It was my understanding that we would not need to add a file to the Gateway process so that a user could combine data from the data model and a seperate Excel file.

I created the following issue

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

As far as I am aware you have to use Analysis Services in Azure or the Power BI datasets for this to work successfully. I think it might work with SSAS 2022 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi GilbertQ,

Thanks for the response! How do I go about doing this? I'm fairly new to the PowerBI Service, but I can't find any options in the Desktop app or PowerBI Service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors