Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add a Excel file as a source to a Report already with a PBI Data Set

Hello, i need to add a Excel file as a source to a report that already uses a PBI data source. I have several questions:

- the best way to do this is to publish the file to PBI Service, right? I've done it and PBI automatically also creates it as a datasource - so far so good.
- shouldn't this data source appear as such automatically on Power BI Desktop option PBI data sets? Is it a matter of permissions?
- can i use 2 PBI data sets on one report? Do i have to use that preview option: Directquery for Power BI datasets and AS, so that i can add this new data set?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to add a Excel to a existed dataset, you will have to download the report from Service, open it and connect to the Excel in Desktop, and then republish the report.

If you want to connect the dataset in Desktop, the Power BI Desktop signed in account should have build permission to the dataset in Service. To see and edit the permission, click the three dots of the dataset then select Manage permissions.

vkalyjmsft_0-1652939402089.png

You can't connect to two datasets on one report in Desktop unless you change to DirectQuery mode, about this feather, refer to this document: Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to add a Excel to a existed dataset, you will have to download the report from Service, open it and connect to the Excel in Desktop, and then republish the report.

If you want to connect the dataset in Desktop, the Power BI Desktop signed in account should have build permission to the dataset in Service. To see and edit the permission, click the three dots of the dataset then select Manage permissions.

vkalyjmsft_0-1652939402089.png

You can't connect to two datasets on one report in Desktop unless you change to DirectQuery mode, about this feather, refer to this document: Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors