Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drose1
Frequent Visitor

unable scheduled refresh

How do you convert reports created first in PBI Destop to now run in Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server, so they can be scheduled for refresh?

The "scheduled refresh" or "refresh now" to does not work with the on-premise Power BI Report Server.  The issue occurs when a report is created in the regular Power BI Desktop (not the remote server version of PBI Desktop), then with the desire to use schedule refresh, the same *.pbix file was opened using Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server ) . Then did a "save as" to the Power BI Report Server.  The copy will not refresh.  A new report made in RS will refresh.  I have tested issue this many times. 

The company wants to use an internal server and not publish reports to the cloud. However, we have already created many of the  reports in the regular version of PBI Desktop.  Any help would be much appreciated as everything I read said this should work. Getting this error:

1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource {"protocol":"tds","address":{"server":"QA01","database":"TEST_DB"},"authentication":null,"query":null} is not found.

1. Using PBRS Version 1.9.7604.41261 (October 2020).  Running it on a remote server in IE.
  2. The reports are in import mode.  
  3. The reports work and refreshes in Power BI Desktop (remote server version: 2.86.961.0 64-bit October 2020)
  4. The reports run on from remote server folder but as stated we cannot refresh the data.
  5. The data sources "test connection" is successful using windows authentication, when entering in a user name / password.  I tried my own username/password and a generic report user.  The connection string was populated by the report.
  6. User has read permissions to the database and full security roles on the report server.
  7. The source data is in a SQL Server database.

Thank you,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
drose1
Frequent Visitor

To answer my own questions but feel free comment if I mistated anything.  

1.  Oct 2020 Remote Sever Desktop (RS) version has a bug that prevents the refresh feature from working on the report server. Had to uninstall Oct 2020 RS Desktop and installed the May 2020 RS Desktop version.  That fixed the refresh issue.  

2. There are two flavors of PBI Desktop. There is the regular version (PBI Desktop) but also there is the Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server (RS Desktop).  In theory, it should be easy to convert the existing reports created with the regular version over to the May 2020 RS version.  However, all the reports were created in the most recent download of the regular version.  That upgrade included an irreversible feature “enhanced dataset metadata”, that Microsoft did not make clear this feature was incompatible with the Report Server. Consequently, any report created recently in this regular version cannot be opened in go forward May RS Desktop version.  To fix this, I retrieved archived reports that luckily, I created in an older version of PBI Desktop and re-saved them in the May RS Desktop version. This worked as a starting place for some of the reports but any new reports created need to be built from scatch in RS Desktop.

3. The next issue is that the RS version does not allow a composite model.  This limited functionality means that all the tables must be exclusively the same type either import query mode or directly query mode. We have some reports that exceed the capacity of the import mode, so the desire is to use direct qurery for these select cases. Changing the tables to direct query mode has a wrinkle is that all the calendar tables, for all the reports, are created in PBI Desktop which means the calendar tables are in import mode.  This is the standard way of creating calendar tables.   To make the calendar tables operational in direct querry will need to develop a calendar table in the data warehouse.  

View solution in original post

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Note to point 1 & 2. At this time is PBI RS and PBI Desktop (RS) re-released, and issues mentioned in first two points are resolved.

Note to point 3, in on-premise deployment, is much better use PBI RS in combination with dedicated SSAS tabular instance (for large models), which move limits far beyond standalone PBI RS and also beyond Power BI Pro & Premium limits

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gsprague
Employee
Employee

If anyone else is seeing issues where the logs show 'Datasource XXXXXX is not found', instead of reverting server versions, please first try the resolution here: Fix for "Datasource XXXXXX Not Found" PowerBI Refr... - Microsoft Power BI Community

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Note to point 1 & 2. At this time is PBI RS and PBI Desktop (RS) re-released, and issues mentioned in first two points are resolved.

Note to point 3, in on-premise deployment, is much better use PBI RS in combination with dedicated SSAS tabular instance (for large models), which move limits far beyond standalone PBI RS and also beyond Power BI Pro & Premium limits

drose1
Frequent Visitor

To answer my own questions but feel free comment if I mistated anything.  

1.  Oct 2020 Remote Sever Desktop (RS) version has a bug that prevents the refresh feature from working on the report server. Had to uninstall Oct 2020 RS Desktop and installed the May 2020 RS Desktop version.  That fixed the refresh issue.  

2. There are two flavors of PBI Desktop. There is the regular version (PBI Desktop) but also there is the Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server (RS Desktop).  In theory, it should be easy to convert the existing reports created with the regular version over to the May 2020 RS version.  However, all the reports were created in the most recent download of the regular version.  That upgrade included an irreversible feature “enhanced dataset metadata”, that Microsoft did not make clear this feature was incompatible with the Report Server. Consequently, any report created recently in this regular version cannot be opened in go forward May RS Desktop version.  To fix this, I retrieved archived reports that luckily, I created in an older version of PBI Desktop and re-saved them in the May RS Desktop version. This worked as a starting place for some of the reports but any new reports created need to be built from scatch in RS Desktop.

3. The next issue is that the RS version does not allow a composite model.  This limited functionality means that all the tables must be exclusively the same type either import query mode or directly query mode. We have some reports that exceed the capacity of the import mode, so the desire is to use direct qurery for these select cases. Changing the tables to direct query mode has a wrinkle is that all the calendar tables, for all the reports, are created in PBI Desktop which means the calendar tables are in import mode.  This is the standard way of creating calendar tables.   To make the calendar tables operational in direct querry will need to develop a calendar table in the data warehouse.  

Hassanmoussa
Frequent Visitor

Same **** from Micrsoft. When they **** it they ruin it. I am facing the same error and no body from them is responding.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.