Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mahavishnu

type of gateway in power BI

Dear Team,

what are the type of gateway available in power BI . please give me the clarity.

thanks & regards,

C.mahavishnu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mahavishnu ,

There are two different types of gateways, each for a different scenario:

• On-premises data gateway allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. You can use an on-premises data gateway with all supported services, with a single gateway installation. This gateway is well-suited to complex scenarios with multiple people accessing multiple data sources.

• On-premises data gateway (personal mode) allows one user to connect to sources, and can’t be shared with others. An on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can be used only with Power BI. This gateway is well-suited to scenarios where you’re the only person who creates reports, and you don't need to share any data sources with others.

And for Power BI report server, gateway is not required.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have installed personal gateway and validated in my local client machine. i want to have gateway for all the users which is standard mode or enterprise gateway. anyone please suggest step by step method for enterprise gateway setup. in which machine we need to install this. and any other details will help.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mahavishnu ,

There are two different types of gateways, each for a different scenario:

• On-premises data gateway allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. You can use an on-premises data gateway with all supported services, with a single gateway installation. This gateway is well-suited to complex scenarios with multiple people accessing multiple data sources.

• On-premises data gateway (personal mode) allows one user to connect to sources, and can’t be shared with others. An on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can be used only with Power BI. This gateway is well-suited to scenarios where you’re the only person who creates reports, and you don't need to share any data sources with others.

And for Power BI report server, gateway is not required.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, there is a personal and standard gateway. Roughly, the difference is that the personal gateway is used for one specific user while the standard gateway can be used by the entire organization. You can find the detailed differences here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.