Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Windows" Datasource Permission Allows Refresh on Desktop Cannot Refresh Report on Workspace

Hi,

I have a report that pulls data directly from a web page that we use to view historical data. The webpage allows me to download the data I want to an excel file, but this requires me to manually download the data each day to update my report. Our software team created an option to output a URL once I've selected the parameters for my download, and I inserted that URL as a "Web" datasource in Power BI. The only option that works for the Desktop version is "Windows" ("Use my Current Credentials") for the credential input, and that allows it to work just fine in the desktop file. 

The Query Source is in the form (spots in brackets are removed for security): 

"Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://[companysite].com/PlantView/[Download Parameters]", [Timeout=#duration(0, 0, 30, 0)]))"

However, when I publish the report and access the dataset from the workspace to set up a scheduled refresh, the settings I setup in the desktop file are not on the workspace and it only shows "Anonymous" or "Basic" as options for connecting, and neither works. I tried using either of those from the deskop file, but they didn't work either. 

Is there any reason that the Desktop allows for "Windows" input for credentials but the Workspace doesn't? At the moment, I have to refresh the desktop file and republish it every time I want the downstream viewers to get up-to-date data. Not sure if it's related to the datasource type or if it's a function of the webpage itself.

3 REPLIES 3
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

normally the WebURL dosn't need any credetials it works with annonymous. May be you try another connector for your case. Do you need for the Web URL your credentials to log in? May be you should connect to the database behind the  website If its your data you need to use?

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KBO ,

Unfortunately, Power BI tells me that it cannot connect to the datasource when I use Anonymous. I don't actually have to log in to the site when I load it, but the webpage gets my Windows credentials somehow and uses that to give me access to the page (setup via SSO, I think). 

The webpage pulls data from our SAP database. Connecting to the OData source would be ideal, but unforunately my company's Information Systems group has a policy against giving anyone direct access to the OData, so I have to use the intermediary systems they set up to access the database. 

I'm just not sure why I can use the "Windows" Credentials on the Desktop file, but not on the Power BI workspace

Hi @Anonymous ,

I guess because in the desktop are some features supported which arn't supported in the cloud service. But I find an article which may be helps: https://blog.kloud.com.au/2018/07/23/use-anonymous-authentication-on-web-data-sources-with-a-api-key-in-url/

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.