Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yve214
Helper III
Helper III

Viewing Published Dashboards

Hi There,

Issue:

Please, I need with licensing and report viewing in the server. I had my IT director reach out to me saying members of my organization should be able to view pbi reports published in the server with just my Pro License.

Little Summary:

I am the sole PBI developer in my tech team with a pro license, and I have developed a few reports and published them on the server. I even created an app to have all of them in a centralized hub. However, I have always known through research (from MS documentation page) the only way another user can view the dashboards I have published (with my pro license) is by obtaining a pro license as well, except I (pbi admin) have a premium capacity subscription.

Please, questions for clarification:

Because my selected audience isnt that large and we are a small team, we do not need the premium capacity because of cost and all. So,

1. Is it true that with my pro license, members in my org can view the report contents in the server without any pbi subscription?
  2. If untrue above, is there another way I can share contents to my selected audience without assigning them a pro license to view the content?

I just thought i post this on here for an extra layer of clarification. Please advise. Thank you so much for your help and reference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@yve214 wrote:
  1. Is it true that with my pro license, members in my org can view the report contents in the server without any pbi subscription?

No this is not true. Any sharing of reports can only be done if the users are covered by some sort of subscription.

There are 2 ways of sharing reports on PowerBI.com

• Either you all have Pro licenses.
  • Or the person with a Pro license publishes to a workspace attached to a premium capacity subscription. In this case report viewers are free, but you need to be at around a level of 500 viewers for this to make sense (or have a good business case for using other premium only features)

@yve214 wrote:

2. If untrue above, is there another way I can share contents to my selected audience without assigning them a pro license to view the content?

The only other option for sharing is the publish to web option. Viewers for this do not need a license, but this makes your content visible to everyone on the internet, not just a selected audience. So this is unsuitable for most data sets and is often disabled by tenant admins.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@yve214 wrote:

No this is not true. Any sharing of reports can only be done if the users are covered by some sort of subscription.

There are 2 ways of sharing reports on PowerBI.com

• Either you all have Pro licenses.
  • Or the person with a Pro license publishes to a workspace attached to a premium capacity subscription. In this case report viewers are free, but you need to be at around a level of 500 viewers for this to make sense (or have a good business case for using other premium only features)

@yve214 wrote:

2. If untrue above, is there another way I can share contents to my selected audience without assigning them a pro license to view the content?

The only other option for sharing is the publish to web option. Viewers for this do not need a license, but this makes your content visible to everyone on the internet, not just a selected audience. So this is unsuitable for most data sets and is often disabled by tenant admins.

@d_gosbell 

Thank you very much for your detailed and clear explanation. I will share these with my leadership team. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.