Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaideepnema
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Upload Multiple Files on Power Bi Report Server

We have a requirement to move around  50+ Reports from One Power Bi Report Server Instance to another so i would like to know is there any option so that we can bulk upload more than one file on the report server ?

As per my understanding the upload file option in the report server only allows the upload one file at once and using Power BI Desktop also we can only upload one file so i would like to know any way by which we can upload more than one file on the report server.

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Based on the error message "The remote server returned an error: (422) Unprocessable Entity." I'd guess that one of the file types your are trying to upload is not supported by the script.

I use scripts like this to backup pbix files from our server and the only issue I've had is with linked paginated reports so I've just excluded them my scripts since I don't need to back those up anyway.

You may have to try smaller batches of files to try and isolate the issue.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

One option would be to write a script using the ReportingServicesTools PowerShell module. You could write a script to download from one instance and upload to the other one.

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/ReportingServicesTools/0.0.6.5

Hi @d_gosbell ,

I tried creating a small script to achieve the same functionality as shown below:

$ReportPortalUri = 'http://localhost/reports';

$Session=New-RsRestSession -ReportPortalUri $ReportPortalUri;

Write-RsRestFolderContent -Path "F:\PBIX files\" -RsFolder \BulkUpload -Overwrite -Recurse -ReportPortalUri $ReportPortalUri -RestApiVersion v2.0 -WebSession $Session -Verbose

But this is not working as it gives me the following error:
Write-RsRestCatalogItem : System.Exception: Failed to create catalog item: The remote server returned an error: (422) Unprocessable Entity. ---> 
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (422) Unprocessable Entity.
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WebRequestPSCmdlet.GetResponse(WebRequest request)
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WebRequestPSCmdlet.ProcessRecord()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ReportingServicesTools\0.0.6.6\Functions\CatalogItems\Rest\Write-RsRestFolderContent.ps1:207 char:21
+ ... Write-RsRestCatalogItem -WebSession $WebSession -RestApiV ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Write-RsRestCatalogItem

Can you please help me understand what i am doing wrong ?

I got it to work, after I changed the back slash to forward slash. 

\BulkUpload to /BulkUpload

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors