Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating table without losing previous rows

Hello everyone, 

I have sort of a problem, we have an access to goverment table showing EURIBOR interst rates, the downside of this table is that it only contains 10 rows, and after each refresh it keeps the 10 rows removing previous dates and adding new ones. So I was wondering is there any type of option inside PBI to update the table with new values by adding new rows and keeping older information?? And for our report we would need larger historical data and for that we would need this table to be updated with these new values by adding new rows instead of overwrighting the old values and keeping it in form of 10 rows only.

I don't have much expirience with PBI we are primarly working with Tableau but we added PBI into our group and we want to use it properly, so if I need to clarify something just say what you need me to explain. 

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

after refreshafter refreshbefore refreshbefore refresh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It is not possible in Power BI Desktop RS standaone. If you need incrementally add data to model, you need use dedicated PBI model hosted on SSAS instance (with live connection to PBI report). It allows incrementally adding data and parition processing options.

But moreover, independly if use PBI Desktop model or SSAS dedicated model, in this case I recommends use another data layer (like MSSQL DB, or any no-sql store) to persis data history, and PBI/SSAS model use only as analytic/reporting layer. PBI/SSAS prvide great query performance due to inmemory collumn store, but are not great as persisted row store.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It is not possible in Power BI Desktop RS standaone. If you need incrementally add data to model, you need use dedicated PBI model hosted on SSAS instance (with live connection to PBI report). It allows incrementally adding data and parition processing options.

But moreover, independly if use PBI Desktop model or SSAS dedicated model, in this case I recommends use another data layer (like MSSQL DB, or any no-sql store) to persis data history, and PBI/SSAS model use only as analytic/reporting layer. PBI/SSAS prvide great query performance due to inmemory collumn store, but are not great as persisted row store.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance, I thought to exclude the building model in SSAS, I knew it could be done like that i was just interested if I could do it inside the PBI alone, to see if there is an option for that. Regardless thank you for confirming my thoughts, I will build a model inside the SSAS and then import it to the PBI. 

Thanks again for clarifying this, have a great day and week!

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What style of data model are you talking about for the government table? Does it display a maximum of 10 rows per page of data? Is it possible to provide some relevant screenshot information?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Henry,

I posted screencaps above, basically, a table that was given to us by the government to use for 3M EURIBOR about euro currency changes is 10 rows which update after each refresh and I was wondering is there any possibility to do it directly in PBI instead of SSAS. But as I understand josef78 it can't be done in PBI directly.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does someone know how to do this in PowerBI, in other BI software this is an easy thing to do but I need help for this in PBI? So please any guide, help or solution???

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.