Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ge5536
Helper I
Helper I

The credentials provided for the Oracle source are invalid

Hello!

I'm having some 'odd' error on a handful of our scheduled refreshes. They are returning the following error:
'The credentials provided for the Oracle source are invalid'
If you do a 'Test Connection' under Manage > Data Source, it will return successfully. The oracle IDs are not locked or have an expired password.

Also, I have some reports refreshing successfully, and others returning this error while using the same data source and authentication, and credentials on both.
And users are able to query the same data successfully from their desktop, so it's not a data access issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Please, try update your server&desktop to latest release January 2021 which addressing this issue

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Please, try update your server&desktop to latest release January 2021 which addressing this issue

Thanks! Yeah I got a notification on Friday that this had been released. We are looking at applying in our test environment and reapplying security patches to see if it all works correctly.

mjbernier
Helper I
Helper I

I just received my first report from a user of a similar problem with a SQL Server data source. I tested and confirmed the behavior is consistent with other reports here (i.e. manual refresh works in Desktop, the Data Source connection tests sucessfully, but the scheduled refresh fails with a credentials error).

I'm having everyone check to make sure they turn that preview feature off in Desktop. Why on earth Microsoft would default an optional feature like that to "on" is beyond me. Hopefully the user in question can find a backup copy that wasn't converted to the new format.

Unfortunately, we did not have a recent version of at least 3 of our affected reports in the user's temp folders. We did rollback our security updates on our test environment and that immediately resolved the issue, so we are looking at doing the same in production ASAP.

Hopefully, MS finds and pushes out a solution for this quickly so we can reapply the security patches.

Good luck @mjbernier !

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ge5536 

This is a known issue (ICM#: 216889995 )that has been submitted internally. 

PBIRS team is currently investing this issue, this error also happens for other datasources like SQL, SharePoint, etc. 

You can try the following workaround provided by the team. I will keep follow for any new updates.

Workarounds:

1. Before the PBIX file is upgraded to the new format in the October 2020 version of PBI Desktop (Optimized for PBIRS), a backup copy is saved in the AppData folder: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups 

2. Open PBI Desktop and turn off the Enhanced Metadata option. Go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Global-Preview features -> then uncheck the option: 

V-pazhen-msft_0-1611712964426.jpeg

3. Restart Power BI Desktop 

4. Reopen the backup PBIX file 

5. You should be able to use this version of the report and publish it to the PBIRS server. It is the v1 model and the same format as in May 2020 PBIRS. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Hello @V-pazhen-msft

Thanks for the provided workaround (we had found it on another thread as well), but unfortunately, it is not a viable option for us. We have ~10-15 reports failing to refresh at the moment and not all of them appear to be available in the temp folder path (at least not in their current form). It would take several hours for users to recreate their reports/dashboards.

I will continue testing with the security patch rollback until a more permanent solution is found.

Thanks!

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ge5536 

Did you make sure the used credential has the permission to access all data in the Oracle source?

Paul Zheng

@V-pazhen-msft Hey Paul, any updates on this? Another thread had mentioned an internal ticket about a similar issue? Is it related to what I'm encountering?

I'm currently reverting the security patches we applied in our test environment and hoping this will resolve the issue. Any tips/assistance would be greatly appreaciated (or a link to where I can submit a support case).

Thanks!

Hello Paul,

Yes, users are able to run the reports without any issues from their desktop application or the queries from SQL Developer/Toad. There were no firewall rule changes, and as I mentioned before, we have dashboards hitting the same data source and using the same credentials where one will refresh without an issue and the other will fail.

The only environment change I have noticed is Windows Server patching on 1/17 - our refreshes began to fail at a very high % after that. I know there's another user having a similar issue hitting Sharepoint data sources after they recently patched their servers.

This appears to be an MS issue - not local. Should I be engaging MS Support? And how would I go about doing that? I kind of need this resolved ASAP 😄

Thank you!

ge5536
Helper I
Helper I

Looks like our refresh failures appeared after our host server was patched on 1/17. Is anyone aware of any issues with recent Windows Server security/rollup patching?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors