Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dearc
Helper II
Helper II

Scheduled refresh stuck or delay

Hello PBRS team,

I'm using the version 1.14.8179.37378 (2022, May). Two server grouped as scale-out.

Recently I found that scheduled refresh delayed and stuck when mannlly triggeredand then successfully refresed after few hours later.

Dearc_0-1657164091590.png

What I'm trying

- Edit the rsconfig file to set one server with larger RAM to provide refresh service -- not work

- Stopped some big dataset refresh job -- not work

- Found error in logs -- nothing specical

- Restart server and SQL agent service -- not work

- Delete rows of "Events" table in powerbi database -- not work, and the rows grows every day, currently more than 600+

- Upgrade version from 2021. Sep -- not work

Help please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dearc
Helper II
Helper II

I think I found the root cause.

Some reports set refresh plan each mintune that makes so many tasks are queued and make [dbo].[Event] full. 

Once I rescheduled these planns and delete all from the [dbo].[Event] table, schduled refresh plan work again and on time finished.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Dearc
Helper II
Helper II

I think I found the root cause.

Some reports set refresh plan each mintune that makes so many tasks are queued and make [dbo].[Event] full. 

Once I rescheduled these planns and delete all from the [dbo].[Event] table, schduled refresh plan work again and on time finished.

Hello Dearc,

I am facing similar challenge. Can you provide me the steps you followed to achieve this?

Hi,
May be you can try

1. Check the scheduled refresh plan for each report, make sure there're no plan set too frequently
2. Check is there any reports take too long for refresh especailly for some import huge data lines from SQL server or other data source
3. Check table [dbo].[Event], normally it is empty

4. Check view [dbo].[ExecutionLog3] to see what happen while refresh for each report

Hope it works

Hello Dearc,

How do I locate files in step 3 and 4 ?

May be you should contact the IT guy to help you find where the PowerBI RS database located.

Once you have the rights to access the database, your can find the tables via tools e.g. SQL Server Management Studio.

Thank You,

I resolved this problem for some of the reports by simply deleting the reports and uploading them again

Dearc
Helper II
Helper II

Stacked in "Started Data Refresh" 

Dearc_0-1658200887481.png

In database shows "rsInternalError"

Dearc_1-1658200934323.png

There're more than 18000+ records in [PowerBiReportServer].[dbo].[Event]

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dearc ,

Are you viewing a refresh-related log file that doesn't show specific refresh information?

vhenrykmstf_0-1657531560401.png

Also, you can read below troubeshooting for more details.

Troubleshoot scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes I checked logs. Nothing specical found only the strange refresh timing

I set 3 scheduled refresh plan, 2 of them refresh daily in 7am and 8:20am. And the other refresh each hour. 

Dearc_0-1657690868318.png

Dearc_3-1657692105807.png

Logs show as  below, none of them exectued in right timing.

Dearc_4-1657692151099.png

Dearc_2-1657692093507.png

There're 6900+ records in  [PowerBiReportServer].[dbo].[Event] table and still growing. I' m not sure if this related with the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.