Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lorenz33
Helper III
Helper III

Report User Based Data Permissions

Our environment is Microsoft Power BI Desktop (optimized for Report Server) Version: 2.76.5678.1521 64-bit (January, 2020).  Microsoft Power BI Report Server Version 15.0.1102.759 (January 2020).

We have a report that connects to the data source (an SQL Server database) through a service account. We want this report to be viewable by everyone os we need to add some form of security so that Company A cannot look at Company B's results. Is it possible to grab a dataset and pass it to the Power Bi report to use, or pass their credentials so that the queries can limit the data they see? As it connects to the data source through row a service account, it does not look like row level security will be the solution.

We are able to get the users credentials through C#. Is there any way to pass them to the report? Or, get the allowed data beforehand and pass it to the report (like a virtual flat file)? Also, through report security is also based on AD groups so the user login is recognized. Is there any way the report can retrieve the AD user login from the Power BI Report Server? Looking for a solution, suggestions, tips.

1 REPLY 1
Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've done this by looking up the current AD user in DAX and filtering the data based on a dataset that links that user name with some category. It works but can be a bit messy if you have a lot of datasets and visuals in your report. Much easier to do in SSRS/Paginated reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.