Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sato89
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Server and REST calls by angular app

Hi everyone,

I installed an instance of Power BI Server with some reports on a computer and I can view the reports in embed version inside a web-app by adding the parameter "?rs:embed=true" to the report URL in a iframe. My PBI Server is installed with Evaluation License.

Can I use REST API to get reports from my Power BI Server? Note that my reports are on my Server and not on app.powerbi.com.

Can I get this functionality with an Evaluation for the moment or is the Premium license necessary to call my PBI Server via REST from my angular web-app?

Thanks in advance.

Best regard.

Salvatore

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The simplest of the PBIRS API calls is as shown in the screenshot. 

14-12-2018 3-54-48 PM.jpg

Here is the code if you want to invoke the same API call using PowerShell 

$Cred = Get-Credential
$Url = "http://powerbi.local/Reports/api/v2.0/Me"
#Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'GET' -Uri $Url -UseDefaultCredentials -OutVariable UserContext
Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'GET' -Uri $Url -Credential $Cred -OutVariable UserContext
echo $UserContext

Here is the list of PBI RS APIs that you can play with.

Please accept the solution, if you agree.

Cheers,

Hari T

View solution in original post

You can set your cedentials at the GET request level by choosing the Authorization method as "NTLM Authentication".

This is when you are on windows and using Windows Authentication. You can also set the Domain of your Org. in the advanced properties.

Cheers,

Hari T

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

There is no functional difference between evaluation edition and full enterprise, aside from a timebomb and licensing rules. You can use the evaluation edition for purposes of dev/test and demo's. Running it in any production evironment will require the appropriate SQL enterprise core or PowerBI premium licenses.  

Thank you for your reply!

So, how can I obtain the embedded token for my REST calls to PBI Server? I tried to implement a REST call from an Angular app but I didn't know the correct way to get this token.

My reports are published on a PBI Server instead of PBI Services (app.powerbi.com).

Thank you!

Best regards.

I haven't tried Angular to make the Rest Api calls but used powershell/postman to make the calls. You can set the security context at the request level or Collection level while making an API call. This worked like a charm for me.

Cheers,

Hari T

Thank you Harikishant.
Can you give me an example please?

The simplest of the PBIRS API calls is as shown in the screenshot. 

14-12-2018 3-54-48 PM.jpg

Here is the code if you want to invoke the same API call using PowerShell 

$Cred = Get-Credential
$Url = "http://powerbi.local/Reports/api/v2.0/Me"
#Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'GET' -Uri $Url -UseDefaultCredentials -OutVariable UserContext
Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'GET' -Uri $Url -Credential $Cred -OutVariable UserContext
echo $UserContext

Here is the list of PBI RS APIs that you can play with.

Please accept the solution, if you agree.

Cheers,

Hari T

Hey @harikishant, I'm trying to call Power BI to rest APIs from an Angular Application using HTTP get request, also passing all the required params and the Auth token through the request header but getting 304 forbidden error in response.

The strange thing is the same request is working through the Postman with the same request header and params.

I'm not sure what causing this issue... 

Thank you! Great!!! Last question: what is the ID in the body and where I can find it? Is it the ID of my report? On PBI report server I cannot find it!

The GET call in my example returns the User Context properties. 

To answer your question, it is the UserID which is stored as GUID in ReportServer metadata.

Cheers,

Hari T

Hi Harikishant. Thank you.

I want to accept your answer as a solution, but there is still something missing!

Are you speaking about the "UserID  field in "Users" table into the PBI Server database?

However, in my case, I receive "401 Unauthorize".

I sent a GET request with Postman to PBI Server WebPortal URL and WebService URL without body and with only "Content-Type"="application/json" as Header.

My question is: where should I set the credentials before send the request to obtain the authorization?

Many thanks.

You can set your cedentials at the GET request level by choosing the Authorization method as "NTLM Authentication".

This is when you are on windows and using Windows Authentication. You can also set the Domain of your Org. in the advanced properties.

Cheers,

Hari T

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.