Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CaveOfWonders
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report Server without SQL Database

Hi All,

I have a client who wants their Power BI reporting to be on Premises. I am aware that there are two options in terms of licensing (Power BI Premium or SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance).

Question 1: If we purchase a Power BI Premium License, do we still need to buy/set up a SQL Server Database?

Question 2: The source of their data is SharePoint lists (also on prem). Can this be connected to with the report server version of Power BI Desktop? If we are connecting to SharePoint lists do we still need a SQL server database if we choose the Premium route?

Question 3: I'm wondering, why purchase premium if you need to purchase SQL anyway, or have I misunderstood the setup?

Thank you

CoW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

Question 1: If we purchase a Power BI Premium License, do we still need to buy/set up a SQL Server Database?

You still need to setup a SQL instance as Power BI Report Server needs one to store all the reports and configurations in. But Power BI Premium comes with a restricted use license of SQL Server. So long as you only use that instance for Power BI Report Server and do not host any other databases on it you are covered by the Power BI Premium licensing. You should confirm this with yourself, but this is what I read a few years ago when going throught the licensing documentation

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

Question 2: The source of their data is SharePoint lists (also on prem). Can this be connected to with the report server version of Power BI Desktop? If we are connecting to SharePoint lists do we still need a SQL server database if we choose the Premium route?

As mentioned above Power BI Report Server requires a SQL database for storing the report definitions, schedules, permissions etc.

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

Question 3: I'm wondering, why purchase premium if you need to purchase SQL anyway, or have I misunderstood the setup?

As mentioned above you don't need to purchase SQL - you can use an existing instance if you already have one or you can use the limited rights license that is part of the Premium capacity.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

You still need to setup a SQL instance as Power BI Report Server needs one to store all the reports and configurations in. But Power BI Premium comes with a restricted use license of SQL Server. So long as you only use that instance for Power BI Report Server and do not host any other databases on it you are covered by the Power BI Premium licensing. You should confirm this with yourself, but this is what I read a few years ago when going throught the licensing documentation

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

As mentioned above Power BI Report Server requires a SQL database for storing the report definitions, schedules, permissions etc.

@CaveOfWonders wrote:

As mentioned above you don't need to purchase SQL - you can use an existing instance if you already have one or you can use the limited rights license that is part of the Premium capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.