Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Premium and SQL Server Edition

If my client has purchased Power BI Premium and will be using Report Server. Does it matter which edition of SQL Server is used as the location of the Report Server's DB? Are there any features we'd miss out on, if I use SQL Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could even use the free edition if you wanted. See this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Premium-which-SQL-server-edition-for-catalog...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could even use the free edition if you wanted. See this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Premium-which-SQL-server-edition-for-catalog...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have installed Power BI On-Premise evalution edition to build the infrastrcture and installed SQL Express for that.

After purchasing the licenses for Power BI Report Server (P1), we've recieved the following error.Untitled.png

Do we have to upgrade from SQL Express to a higher edition?

Hi,

We have the same question and have currently installed the express edition of SQL server. However, since the SQL Server Agent is not supported by Express edition, we have seen that the scheduled refresh feature fails (this feature uses the SQL Service agent).

Please suggest if SQL server developer edition can be used alternatively. The functionality works well if SQL Server Developer edition is installed. Is there any violation in this case?

Regards

Janithri

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.