Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Giogunner
Frequent Visitor

PBI SSAS Live Connection multiple models

I just found out that multiple models of SSAS Tabular cannot be connected to one PBIX file. So my question is, should I deploy all the tables in one model or create several models where I will have some of the tables duplicated?
Which will give me better performance? 

2 REPLIES 2
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You can create single big model which contains all what you need. Tables in model can be connected by some relation or not (in model you can have some independent part/group/island of tables without any connection), but I recommend use perspectives to avoid misunderstanding in large model.

From query performance there no difference if you have some tables in multiple models or in single model (but be carefully if all tables are connected by relations). Also there no difference about processing performance, every object you can process independently. And there are two pros: you can connect and use from single Power BI report, and you can save memory usage (and process cpu time) by duplicated tables in more models.

By my opinion, there is single cons, it is about development and maintenance, is more difficult to develop and keep developing cycle for single large model (especially if is developed by multiple developers) than more simple independent models.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Giogunner ,

To my knowledge, it would be better to create several models than one model. For each model, optimize it for its specific purpose. And it will result in a much better performance than trying to fit all requestments into one model.

Then you can create a report for each model and then create a dashboard based on them.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.