Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

slashdavid
Frequent Visitor

PBI Report Builder - removing duplicate values in parameter dropdown

I'm currently working through building a paginated report with PBI Report Builder, but a small issue came up. One of my parameters is called Spend Year. Currently, for the sake of working with a faster loading file, I filtered this down to only include the year 2023. However, the issue with this is that the parameter dropdown is displaying multiple options for 2023. I believe it's displaying a 2023 for each row in the dataset that contains one.

Having multiple options for the same thing just isn't practical, so I've been looking for a way to have the parameter dropdown display distinct options. I managed to find this article: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/remove-duplicate-filter-values-from-ssrs-parameter-drop-down/. While this matches my situation, the VB code that he writes is for String values. I'm working with integers. I tried my best to adapt his code to work for integers (you can find the code below), but after following through everything, my Spend Year parameter is now greyed out with no selectable values. I was sure to configure the available values as detailed in the article.

Does anyone happen to have any idea how I should go about this? If it's useful to know, my data was pulled via a DAX query.

Thank you in advance!

My version of the code:

Public Shared Function RemoveDuplicates(parameter As Parameter) As Integer()
    Dim items As Integer() = parameter.Value
    Array.Sort(items)
    Dim k As Integer = 0
    For i As Integer = 0 To items.Length - 1
        If i > 0 AndAlso items(i) = items(i - 1) Then
            Continue For
        End If
        items(k) = items(i)
        k += 1
    Next
    Dim unique As Integer() = New Integer(k - 1) {}
    Array.Copy(items, 0, unique, 0, k)
    Return unique
End Function
3 REPLIES 3
bradsy
Employee
Employee

For your parameter query, can you add a distinct clause? This will filter down to unique values.

Hey, thanks for your response! For some reason the DISTINCT clause was returning an error. I ended up just pulling separate datasets for each parameter to get a list of all unique values that way

It's probably more efficient to create a separate dataset for each parameter. This is what the query builder will do if you add a parameter using that. The database engine can typically get a distinct list of values much faster than using VBA to loop through the data on the report side

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.