Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Eric7
Resolver I
Resolver I

On-premises gateway, setting DbConnectionPoolMaxSize against Oracle

Hi, the on-premises gateway does take quite a lot of simultaneous database connections against our Oracle database when we refresh a dataflow residing in the Power BI Service or in the PowerApps/Power platform. It looks like it consumes about the same amount as the number of tables in the dataflow. Is there any way to limit this? I have tried to set DbConnectionPoolMaxSize=4 (the default was 256 i believe) in the following file on the gateway server

C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config

in sections

<setting name="DbConnectionPoolMinSize" serializeAs="String">

<value>4</value>

</setting>

<setting name="DbConnectionPoolMaxSize" serializeAs="String">

<value>4</value>

</setting>

<setting name="DbConnectionStatefulPoolMaxSize" serializeAs="String">

<value>4</value>

</setting>

But the gateway still consumes 9 connections simultaneously.

If we start several refreshes against Oracle at the same time, we may easily end up starving our main business critical application for database connections.

Anyone who has more knowledge about this?

-Is it possible to set the DbConnectionPoolMaxSize?

-Is there a minimum value not possible to go under?

-Is this the right place or the right setting?

Eirik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric7
Resolver I
Resolver I

I got answer from one of the developers (I blieve):

"Hi, it looks like the rate limiting factor here is the number of connections that Oracle will accept.

One thing that you can do is change the properties in this file to limit the number of concurrent connections:

Adjust gateway performance based on server CPU | Microsoft Docs

Change MashupDisableContainerAutoConfig  to true

Then change MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount to 1

Then restart the gateway.

This mitigation is extremely NOT recommended, you will see a performance impact for all requests, however it will serve as a rate limiter for # of connections to oracle.

Thanks,

Sheldon"

I have tried MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount = 4, which in our case seemed to give a good balance between number of db connections and performance.

Eirik

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That may only work if you have a single gateway and a single dataset and a single Oracle data source. The moment you use multiple gateway cluster members (as you should for BCP) and you have multiple Oracle data sources ( very likely) this becomes close to impossible to control. Better beef up your Oracle server.

Eric7
Resolver I
Resolver I

I got answer from one of the developers (I blieve):

"Hi, it looks like the rate limiting factor here is the number of connections that Oracle will accept.

One thing that you can do is change the properties in this file to limit the number of concurrent connections:

Adjust gateway performance based on server CPU | Microsoft Docs

Change MashupDisableContainerAutoConfig  to true

Then change MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount to 1

Then restart the gateway.

This mitigation is extremely NOT recommended, you will see a performance impact for all requests, however it will serve as a rate limiter for # of connections to oracle.

Thanks,

Sheldon"

I have tried MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount = 4, which in our case seemed to give a good balance between number of db connections and performance.

Eirik

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Eric7 

For Power Apps questions you may go to Power Apps Community - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com).

Best Regards

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Hi, this issue also pertains to dataflows in the Power BI Service, I have updated the original question.

Eric7

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.